Expansion tank - Looks like I've got a problem. Please Help

I wonder if the (suspected) blockage could be between vent and cold feed thus sending the water up and over the vent and back down so to speak to get past the (aforesaid suspected) blockage.

Quite.

I expect you'll find the wet vac handy for sucking up pipefuls of water anyway. They make draining a rad a doddle - you just suck up all the water as it dribbles out of the union. They also empty wc cisterns and pans easily, empty heating pipes so you can solder them, suck up what comes out when you change an immersion heater, and clear air-locks from pipes.

Suggestion - mine's a cheapie too and I use it wet only, without the filter. If I put the filter in it tends to spray water out of the exhaust!
And don't forget the Tesco's bag wrapped round to seal the vac hose to pipe gap.

Yes you can use push-fit but I'd prefer compression on copper. V hot water there and how much do you trust one cheap rubber O ring per joint?? Not supposed to use plastic within 1 metre of a boiler.

By the way - might have been useful to point out that the deposits are to some extent magnetic, so you can do some detection before cutting.

Sponsored Links
bananas and custard said:
Been out and at great expense (£30) bought a B&Q own brand wet & dry vac as suggested.

I wish i'd seen this thread before to discourage you- I have said vac and it's cack.

But some tips (otherwise you'll throw it out the window)

1. Don't ever use it dry - if you do, 50% of the dust it sucks up will be thrown out of the exhaust making the room cloudy.

2. Don't bother with the "all in one filter kit" - it's utter pants.

3. It's actually an Earlex combi-vac, rebranded. So you can get spares for it from any earlex stockist.

4. The "blow" feature is far better than the suck ever is. If you are trying to clear a blockage, if at all possible try to blow it out rather than suck it out. This would of course require two cuts in the pipe.

slippyr4 said:
I wish i'd seen this thread before to discourage you- I have said vac and it's cack.

Thanks for that Slippy. It's still new in box so I give it back to them and spend an extra £20 on something better. Seen some Goblin Aquavacs on eBay for £50 delivered might get one. Other than that £60 in shed for a Vax 4000.

Any recommendations anyone?

Suppose this should be a new thread now..............

Which wet vac should I buy?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back