Expansion vessel set up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We have recently had to have our expansion vessel changed on our unvented cylinder set up as the previous one was leaking - we used our home emergency cover and it was fixed yesterday.

However, whereas our previous vessel had a bracket built into the body, the engineer admitted they'd ordered the wrong vessel and so it has been installed with a separate bracket as shown in the attached pics - is this an acceptable/safe set up? The bracket does not appear to line up with the edge of the vessel and I'm concerned as to whether this is providing the support needed/might be putting unnecessary pressure on the pipework below?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Attachments

• ExpVess1.jpg
    ExpVess1.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 95
  • ExpVess2.jpg
    ExpVess2.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 100
  • ExpVess3.jpg
    ExpVess3.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 102
Sponsored Links
It would have been a ridiculously easy job for them to just move the bracket a few inches, so as to properly support it, but it looks safe enough even if not not a very professional looking job. The guy was obviously not a fully qualified operator for a tape measure, or he would have got the bracket in the right place.

Hi all,

We have recently had to have our expansion vessel changed on our unvented cylinder set up as the previous one was leaking - we used our home emergency cover and it was fixed yesterday.

However, whereas our previous vessel had a bracket built into the body, the engineer admitted they'd ordered the wrong vessel and so it has been installed with a separate bracket as shown in the attached pics - is this an acceptable/safe set up? The bracket does not appear to line up with the edge of the vessel and I'm concerned as to whether this is providing the support needed/might be putting unnecessary pressure on the pipework below?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Looking at the fixing, if that vessel detaches from the bracket, the resulting leak will be massive should the pipe detach.

My advice would be instal the vessel such that it can not come adrift ie on a horizontal surface and secured.

Fixing in the pictures looks quite ropey.

Middle pictures suggests the vessel has dropped a bit

They set it so that the pipe or the wooden baton didn't need altered. All they needed to do was adjust the piece of wood a bit higher so the bracket would sit in line with the centre of the EV

The large jubilee clip should sit straight, normally just below the weld. That being said all they need to do was sit the band stright and tighten it properly, given the support of the pipe below it, it wouldn't be going anywehere.

That was just a silly rush job by someone that couldn't really be bothered.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for your replies guys - much appreciated.

I don't believe the vessel has dropped as the middle photo suggests, I think it's just the clip has been fastened at an angle instead of being straight. And the wooden baton already has a red vessel attached to it on another bracket, so I presume that's why this was left in its current position.

My main concern was the weight of the vessel on the pipework below, as the pipe underneath doesn't have any support/fittings to it - I've complained to the insurer about the replacement installation so hopefully it should be rectified in the next few days.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back