expansion vessel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi yesterday my red zilnet expansion vessel starting leaking from the seam. I have bought a new one from screwfix but I am wondering is ok to replace myself or should I use a heating engineer?

if it is ok to do myself do I just turn the water off at mains and electric off, then bleed the large water tank out then replace vessel. turn water back on then the electric?

oh its a unvent water system

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Legally you have to G3 certified to work on unvented hot water storage system. The expansion tank on unvented hot water systems are usually white or blue as they are for use with potable water. Red expansion vessels are used in sealed heating systems.

Are you sure it is for an unvented hot water storage or is it for your heating system?

Pete

thanks for replying pete

it says santon premium plus unvented hot water system.
I have a large grey tank and two smaller ones one is grey the other is red. its the red one that is leaking.
on the internet it says I can isolate the red tank from water supply but there is no way of doing this, so I thought I could remove all the water from the main large tank then do the swop?

jase

Sponsored Links
so can I replace the broken red one then or does it have to be engineer?
an if so,do I just drain all water out , swop over vessel, then turn water back on?

You clearly lack engineering knowledge I would suggest you get a heating engineer in as you clearly don't know where to start - it will be cheaper than a flood - or worse! ;)

Maybe I don't but people are saying its easy just to swop vessel for new one. I am not a total idiot if given the right thing to do. U seam to know about this stuff, so how do I take vessel off? Do I turn stop cock off an drain the emerssion dry?

If the vessell is red and connected to the heating/hot water circuit you do not need to touch any cold water stop valve. Check the pressure guage drain the heating circuit down (ensuring it is connected to that red vessell) Remove the vessell and then fit new one ensuring the pre charge pressure is tested before any water is back in the system. Refill the system to 1.bar check for leaks.

Pete

I have an engineer coming today thanks . but when u say drain the heating down is that from the large emersion tank that's next to the red vessel? if so wouldn't it just fill back up if I haven't turn main water supply off.

The heating circuit is seperate to the water in the cylinder otherwise you would be bathing in rusty coloured water.
I think you need someone to attend to see exactly what system you have as you appear to be confusing the potable water side and primary heat circuits up.

Pete

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back