Expansion Vessels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
May I take this opportunity to apologise to Do it all, for the way I addressed him earlier, very knowledgeable person and a true Gentleman. Hope you accept it Dia, it was a moment of frustration. You know more than I will ever learn and your advice is always gratefully received and appreciated. Thank you.

Until the next time :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
hi all never been on the site for a while nice to see it there's still a good discussion to be had! :LOL: anyway I think the ops problem has got lost in the argument.
OP I would guess that
The boiler has since kept losing pressure (going from 1 bar to zero over 2 week periods) so I emptied some water from one of the radiators to act as an additional expansion vessel and now the boiler doesnt lose pressure
because the system is now not losing pressure I doubt there is a leak so it leads to
A) the EV fitted is either shot or just needing re-pressureised or
B) the EV fitted is now undersized for the system
adding an extra vessel will do no harm to the system

Charlie for your benefit and without bringing up quotes etc I will try to explain what others have tried to
The EV fitted in a standard system has nothing to do with the hot water side of the boiler, heat output etc
It is there purely to protect the sealed side of the system ie the heating circuit it is basically a balloon of air inside a vessel that gives the heated water room for expansion. without it pipes etc would burst which is also why there is a back up Pressure relief safety valve fitted.
they come in different sizes so it follows they hold different amounts of water hence the need to upgrade sometimes when there is more water expanse to allow for.
An EV that is knackered can and does cause the system to lose pressure contrary to what you believe and does it like so.
when the ev starts to lose its precharge of air due to a leaky valve of whatever the pressurised water already in the system will take up the loss of air in the vessel and this will lead to a drop on the system gauge which in turn will lead to the system water being topped up. this continues and there is less and less space in the EV to take up the expanding water until you get to the point where the EV does not have enough space left in it to accommodate the expanse (its become a smaller vessel if you like )and is now too small for the system
now when the water heats up the surplus water has to go some where and it does. it expands, the pressure builds up and once it hits 3bar the excess is discharged via the PRV until the pressure drops below 3bar.
now when the heating is off and every thing cools down the water contracts and there you have it less water in the system and hencea loss of system pressure.This is also the same scenario when the EV is undersized.
with regards to the rad if you think about not so much letting water out of it but introducing air into it(unbled) you will get your head around it better with regards to how it acts like an EV
matt

Thanks for your time Matt, most appreciated, to be honest, I know how an expansion vessel works I already said in one of my posts that the vessel was for the heating and not hot water. I know what a diaphragm is in an expansion vessel, I also know what a schroeder valve is, how to test if the diaphragm is shot and how to recharge it using a bicycle pump. All that I was suggesting was that if, as most combi`s are, the boiler was oversized already this would mean that the expansion vessel was already oversized due to this fact. If the expansion vessel was already oversized in the boiler, he might be able to add a couple of rads without there being a problem. That is all I was saying, nothing more, nothing less.Thanks for taking the time to help me out. ( i never thought thas this was the problem, unfortunately i had to deal with abuse from other members so the plot got lost, sorry to the Poster for that).

Why would one have to add an expansion vessel to add new radiators? How would draining a radiator act as an expansion vessel?

You posted this on the 23rd.

If you have an argument in the pub, you can claim to have said something different afterwards. On an internet forum it is all there for us to read.

No point in being all aggressive, we can see your pants are down.

Sorry to be pedantic, but an E.V. has a Schraeder valve, not a Schroeder valve. Just a wee addition to a thouroughly entertaining post. :D

Sorry to be pedantic, but an E.V. has a Schraeder valve, not a Schroeder valve. Just a wee addition to a thouroughly entertaining post. :D

and to be even more pedantic you spell thoroughly without the first "u"

sorry boabcelt I couldn't resist :D

Why would one have to add an expansion vessel to add new radiators?

How would draining a radiator act as an expansion vessel?

You posted this on the 23rd.

If you have an argument in the pub, you can claim to have said something different afterwards. On an internet forum it is all there for us to read.

No point in being all aggressive, we can see your pants are down.

I can`t see where I have been aggressive, the reason I asked why one would add an expansion vessel is because I thought that there was no need if his boiler was oversized, hence the question, why would you need to add a vessel, in other words, there is no point. As for the radiator acting as an expansion vessel, I thought that draining an already full radiator, replacing it with more water via filling loop would make no difference unless the radiator he drained was full of air, how can a radiator full of hot water act as an expansion vessel if it is full?
I never thought I was right, I didn`t realise that this forum was a competition between egotistical idiots, in some cases, now I do, they were reasonable questions, don`t know why you are now making them out as anything other than that unless you are trying to justify your abusive behaviour, I can`t understand why you won`t let it go?, I think you have made your postion very clear.

You are correct ,of course. Thank you. ;) It was a mis-spelling. I wasn`t far away. :D

You leave the rad full of air Charlie :cool:

One last time.

The expansion vessel in any boiler, is sized for an average heating system, for the sake of the argument, lets say a total water content of 100Ltrs, obviously a few Litres over ain't gonna make any difference but lets add 4 rads and another 40Ltrs, what will happen now is the vessel cannot hold the extra expansion so the pressure will increase and dump water out the PRV.

doitall
You leave the rad full of air Charlie

Come on, be fair Do it all, now you are moving the goalposts because of what I said about using a radiator as an expansion vessel when it is already full. :LOL:

The expansion vessel in any boiler, is sized for an average heating system, for the sake of the argument, lets say a total water content of 100Ltrs, obviously a few Litres over ain't gonna make any difference but lets add 4 rads and another 40Ltrs, what will happen now is the vessel cannot hold the extra expansion so the pressure will increase and dump water out the PRV.

I understand that perfectly well DIA, why does everyone keep explaining to me how an expansion vessel works when I have already said how it works, how to test the diaphragm and how to re-pressurise it? I am being accused of not listening and arguing but how many times do I have to make this point until somebody says `` oh,yeah, he knows how it works`

You & others explained to me on an earlier post how combis were normally oversized to obtain a decent hot water flow rate. My point was that that being the case, the vessel will be oversized for the heating side, thus able to take a few extra rads, I know you can`t go overboard and start building extensions and whacking rads everywhere but my suggestion was not outlandish and is done every day. I can`t understand why this is causing everyone problems and leading to members slagging me off as stupid. I`m not trying to argue with anybody here, least of all you and I`m not saying I`m right and everyone is wrong, just that it`s done all the time without the need for extra expansion vessels being added that`s all, a simple point. But thanks for being gracious enough to at least reply.

leading to members slagging me off as stupid.

actually the word I used was "******". Being stupid might indicate an isolated incident for possibly an averagely intelligent individual. I used the word "******" as I feel in your case its a more permanent affliction.

actually the word I used was "******". Being stupid might indicate an isolated incident for possibly an averagely intelligent individual. I used the word "******" as I feel in your case its a more permanent affliction.

I`m sorry if I have annoyed you/upset you in some way, but to be honest you are becoming an embarassment to yourself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back