expensive or not

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it expensive to have the hot water switch constantly on, on a standard boiler trying to mimick the effect of a combi boiler ie providing hot water a will, and if any of you had the option to keep the old style boiler would you against getting a new combi.

I am thinking of keeping my old system as I believe that I haven't been helping it by switching off the electric supply at night!!! would this cause a problem????

Sponsored Links
might be just me but that does not make any sense whats you question m8

Is it expensive to have the hot water on constantly on a old style boiler??

I would not like to say mate to be honest I dont know.

Do you pay your gas bill monthly or quarterly as I would suggest that you try one way for a month then the other and compare the two.

Sorry not to be more definate about it

Sponsored Links
Thanks for responding.

On a more technical note i have a potternton suprima at the moment and it keeps cutting out, i don't think that it is the same problem as the others on this site.

It has only started since i started switching off the electric switch at night. Does doing this have a effect on the boiler and should it be switched on 24/7?

I'd leave the electric switch on 24/7 or you'll have to keep resetting your timer.
As to leaving heating/hot water on 24/7, my ma does this, I used to have mine switched for when I was home from work. Our gas bills were comparable although her house is newer and therefore better insulated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back