Expensive Paint brushes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I normally buy what I would call mid priced paint brushes (about £3 for 25mm) which seem to do the job perfectly adequately. I have noticed that you can pay a lot more for a brush. My question is, what is the benefit, if any, for a DIYer in purchasing such brushes when on the face of it they all look pretty much the same?

I also buy the 6 for £2 variety but use these for paint stripper or painting outside metalwork etc and then just throw them away :D

Sponsored Links
Wise move with the thrwaway brushes....thats all they are good for..

As for other brushes, its difficult, I can understand not paying top dollar for a brush you may only use a few times a year, but if you did use a quality brush such as a Hamilton, you would notice the difference.....they do make it easier to apply to paint.

When buying a brush open it up...pull the bristes apart and look in the centre of the brush....is there a gap?....can you see a piece of wood?.....then its not a decent brush, these rushes tend to be floppy harder to control they make shifting the paint around harder and hold less paint...oh and you get more drips too.

Thanks Zampa,

think I'll buy a Hamilton (these were the expensive brushes I was referring to) and give it a try this weekend.

If you have a brewers near you they were doing some brilliant deals on sets of purdys and hamiltons

Sponsored Links
The Brewers supper is a decent brush too for the money...also made by hamiltion

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back