experience

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys just want your opinion on the following;
i've been working in plumbing for a few years for my father in law and am begining to pick some work up of my own which is great but obviously comes with more responsibilty.i'm half way thru a job which began as just replacing tanks in the loft.when i inspected the f+e tank it was bone dry,the ball valve had seized and the feed pipe had blocked up.after seeing this and futher inspection of the system i advised a powerflush which the customer accepted and then said he wanted all the hot water pipe work re-routed.weighing up the amount of work to be done i suggested the customer consider installing a combi since i would be doing most of the work involved anyway and that the boiler 10years old + although working fine at moment may need replacing in the future and so extra cost would even out over time.i tryed to steer him for this option believing it to be the best value for money for him but he decided to keep his boiler cos it was still working fine.so i've flushed swapped tanks and changed pipe workbut just discovered hw cylinder scaled up and resticting the cold feed into it giving poor pressure hence more work and more money.my question is does my relative inexperience in running the job mean that although having the best intentions,i've been neglegent and cost the customer more money.the way see it he could have had a new combi boiler for roughly the same money,whereas now he'll be looking on replacing the existing not too long off.shouldi probed him more on the history of he system,exactley want wrk he wanted done ,steered him harder to the course of action i felt most appropriate???
cheers for taking the time to reading

Sponsored Links
You did advice him that his system is old, dirty and old-fashioned. Though hotly disputed by many, a good combi installed correctly is the best option in 99 percent of cases. If your client thinks he knows better, he should not complain if it turns out the pro was right in the first place.
There is another side to the story though, I could be wrong but you sound like you have practical experience but lack official training and are not corgi registered. That means you are working on the border of what is legal and safe and will soon cross that line.

Sponsored Links
a good combi installed correctly is the best option in 99 percent of cases

Is that a typo :eek:

Very well spotted, the comma is missing after - combi - and again after the word - correctly -
your English is obviously better than mine, are you a teacher?

:LOL:

I think he meant the extra 9. :LOL:

Name a good Combi that will last without breaking down in the next 25 years such as my Servowarm Elite. Perhaps I'm being unfair make that the next ten years.

We all get jobs/ work that can grow arms and legs as the job progresses. Sounds like you did your best to steer the customer in the right direction but it could end up looking like you were trying to drum up more business. Just finish off the original work and put it down to experience. Give him a quote for a new combi for future reference remembering to put on it quote valid for one month only. He might get back to you in six months time:cool:

bengasman wrote:
scatmanjohn wrote:
a good combi installed correctly is the best option in 99 percent of cases
Is that a typo
Very well spotted, the comma is missing after - combi - and again after the word - correctly -
your English is obviously better than mine, are you a teacher?
I think he meant the extra 9.

DIdn't he mean
"a good combi installed correctly is the best option in .99 percent of cases"?

Seriously - I think you're ok. You're obvioulsy not trying to cheat him and you DID give him advise, which he chose to ignore. You aren't psychic. Why should you suspect his cylinder's clogged up?
If he thinks a new combi would be a cheap option, let him get a quote from BG!
WHile he's at it, a quote for doing what you're doing as well as a new conventional boiler.
Sometimes you need a little of what someone cleverer than me called "White Bu11$hit". It should be easy enough to sell him the idea that a combi wouldn't give him the immersion heater backup, and that the water providers only guarantee 0.7bar which makes combis struggle.

You did advice him that his system is old, dirty and old-fashioned.

How do you know it is old fashioned?, just because it's not a combi?. I hate it when lazy installers recommend combis when they are not the best option and I hate the lazy companies promote them to pander to the lazy installers.

have to agree with ollski on this one.
so best i rush out tomorrow and order a new combi and fit monday night as my boiler has been in since the 80's and never know may breakdown.

another person trying to con the public and turn one job into a weeks work
every shower i fit i don't try and sell them a new bath suite cause the silicone looks mouldy.

i surpose the loft tanks you fitted, you don't even hold L regs cert to install the tanks.

cheers for the input.for the record i'm registered under my father in law's corgi membership having taken my acs last year.have done energy efficiency water regs and am looking to go part p and get my unvented ticket next year.although i hav'nt gone down the nvq/apprenticeship route i have been given training and experience,from a decent plumber with 20 years ex under his belt who is happy to let me use his memberships and facilities for work i get off my own back.I've still got a lot to learn but i don't take anything on i'm not competent to work on.

Ideal Standard, installed 1977- 80K BTU still working just fine - a plumber some time ago ( a professional) said leave it alone , it's a great boiler.
Thank goodness I choose him

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back