Sack the plumber!

and your plumber (if he exists)

Are you sure this is not a DIY project gone wrong?

I'm afraid he does exist, a so called "qualified" plumber, fully certified by HETAS (I checked with them!) for both wet and dry systems, APHC member etc etc etc....

Yes, it certainly is a "project gone wrong", but not of the DIY kind. I wish now that I had "Done It Myself" and saved a fortune (£12k plus!).

Sponsored Links
Well OP , it does not look or sound to good , the way I see it you may well be advised to pay some one else to just take a look at the job ,& give you a report thats assuming you can find some one ?? cannot speak for any one else but I would be some what reluctant to get involved in something that might well end up in court !!

Also woodburning stove exp tank sagging ?? on solid fuel I would want to see a galvinised feed & exp tank , copper float on the ball valve , & a copper over flow !

i think your all giving peedoff a a hard time! The "plumber" does sound incompetant, and I he's only here for a heads up as to what to do.

P'off, have you contactes any of the bodies to which he is affiliated. If not, why not?

Sponsored Links
.....Also woodburning stove exp tank sagging ?? on solid fuel I would want to see a galvinised feed & exp tank , copper float on the ball valve , & a copper over flow !

So would I!!

It DID have a plastic ball until I got "technically involved" again and pointed out the regs.... again!! The plastic tank has a specification that satisfies the solid fuel stove, all of them do nowadays.... although the plumber couldn't tell me that!! I made a phone call to the tank manufacturer and explained the situation and they send me the specs of the plastic tank... (name of manufacturer just slips me, one of the big brands...) so NO it DOESN'T have to be a galv tank, but WOULD satisfy my peace of mind if it was....
Plumbers explanation was... "in my 30 years I have never had a plastic tank collapse"..... MMmm.. try telling that to the mother of the child that was killed resulting in a change to the regs on that one.

i think your all giving peedoff a a hard time! The "plumber" does sound incompetant, and I he's only here for a heads up as to what to do.

P'off, have you contactes any of the bodies to which he is affiliated. If not, why not?

I have only just found out he is a member of the AHPC although have already contacted HEATAS, they are waiting for me to initiate a formal complaint, and yes, I have been far too leaniant with the plumber as he does keep coming back to try something else, then something else, then something else... just going round in circles really now.

i wish someone would paid me 12k...

If you had been on the HETAS regisitration list you may have got it!

....But only if you are good at talking the hind legs off a donkey and not actually saying anything. :)

It's quite simple what you describe is a very poor level of competence. If he had done that in my house he would find himself locked out. I would tell him the relationship has broken down there is no way I can trust him, and I don't even want him in my house. I don't expect to hear from him, and I am certain I never will. But if I do and he makes a claim I will have my evidence I will make a counter claim for the cost of puting right everything he has done which isn't to regs. He will go away.

I would find a person who is competent to complete the project.

Hi - Have you got any sort of contract with the plumber ? or even an exchange of letters ? I don't think he can claim not to be paid for the work he has completed. From the sound of it he's certainly received fair payment for the works.

It's a sorry fact that most contractors will not have the time or funds to take someone to court. This is so often used as an empty threat. You are more like to find the boiler removed or something....

Hi - Have you got any sort of contract with the plumber ? or even an exchange of letters ? I don't think he can claim not to be paid for the work he has completed. From the sound of it he's certainly received fair payment for the works.

It's a sorry fact that most contractors will not have the time or funds to take someone to court. This is so often used as an empty threat. You are more like to find the boiler removed or something....

I have the original quote and my letter of acceptance to go ahead, dozens and dozens of emails back and forth.

I would welcome him to come back and remove the lot and give me my money back!!

I would find a person who is competent to complete the project.

Quite right Paul, a very poor level of competance indeed, that combined with just general poor workmanship has made our life a misery here. The whole system is way off spec. in my mind. We can't have hot water AND the central heating when running the wood burning stove despite us requesting in the very beginning we need to be able to run wood stove alone, or oil boiler alone, or both together.

There just isn't enough "heat" in the system, rads are luke warm and water temp is barely warm enough for one shower, and I haven't got all the rads on yet!

Surely a 20kw wood stove would be capable of supplying enough "heat" to maintain both DHW and CH?

Completion dates.... ??

When asked several times for a completion date the plumber has said (in writing) "well it should be finished by xx-xx-xx". Does that constitute a completion date, or has he been astute in his reply there?

APHC gave no joy as he is only registered under them for gas, not the oil or solid fuel I have despite the issue being with general workmanship (or lack of it).

Also he hasn't joined their "Competent Persons Scheme" with them. Is there any wonder! LOL!

However their members should still come under their Customer Charter which states:-

**All operatives must be able to demonstrate suitable levels of competency**

http://www.competentpersonsscheme.co.uk/consumers/charter.aspx

HETAS are sending through an official complaints form...

I think a "dry" stove would have been a better option.

Hindsight, yes would have been a good option... or have a completely separate system for the woodstove, maybe underfloor as it can be banked up and it will run a good 12 - 15 hours just ticking over...

Although I wouldn't even trust this plumber with installing that correctly!

1) He has installed the registration plate with no access to clear any buildup of soot.

2) The air valve on the stove was installed "back to front" so the hotter the stove got the wider the air valve got, overheating the stove.

3) The internal baffles were incorrectly installed and fell out when the stove was running, luckly they didn't break the glass.

4) My custom designed hearth in expensive black marble was concreted solidly in between the "inglenook" piers and with nowhere to expand it cracked right through the middle...

5) The same hearth was cut incorrectly to fit the chimney breast piers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back