Am I being harsh on this plumber?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I agreed a fixed price quote with a plumber to install a Glowworm 18HX boiler to replace an Ideal Classic FF360. After he'd fitted the boiler and it was basically working he told me that he couldn't wire up the permanent live and pump overrun because wiring was needed between the boiler and the cabinet with the pump in on the floor below. He was blaming the house and said there was no way he could have known before starting the installation and he said the boiler would work fine without it. So I wasn't sure at first and asked him if it would affect the operation of the boiler in any way and if it would affect the Manufacturer's warranty. The next day he said he'd spoken to Glowworm and they had told him it was ok to install it without wiring up these features. He told me that it wouldn't affect the operation of the boiler at all and would not affect the warranty. He said that the only thing I may notice is that the boiler would not display the water temperature at all times, only when it was working. Because of this I didn't make a big fuss about it at the time and said something like maybe I would lay the cable in future and then he would come and connect it at both ends.

Now after he had finished we were getting the boiler shutting itself down with error code F22 regularly - would wake up in the morning or come back to the house and it was freezing cold and had to reset the boiler. I contacted Glowworm and asked them to confirm what the plumber had said. I didn't even mention to them about the F22 errors. Glowworm eventually replied that if the permanent live and pump overrun were not wired up that the boiler would probably suffer periodic F22 errors and that any faults they deemed to be caused by the 'incorrect installation' were not covered by warranty.

So I went back to the plumber insisting that he complete the installation including laying the cable and any 'making good' of floors, walls etc. if he had to cause damage to them while laying the cable. He refused saying that I had said I would do that work myself. So I replied that I didn't say I would do it, I said I 'may' do it and any statement I made about doing any work was because of the false information which he had given me about the wiring being basically unnecessary. He would not have this at all and suggested things like he could come and do something like wire up the pump to run permanently. I asked him if he would want a pump running 24/7 365 days a year drawing 60 watts of power in his own house and he replied 'forget it then'. I asked him 3 times over the next 6 weeks to come and complete the work and he effectively refused to do it in any way which would meet the manufacturer's installation instructions unless I did all the preparation work for laying the cable - removing flooring, floorboards and putting them back myself. I explained that what he wanted me to do was 90% of the work and I could not do it because, not being a professional and not having the tools, it would take me a long time and I couldn't have unboarded floors for a long time with a toddler running around. So basically he just refused to do anything. Because he was becoming very irritating, I offered to settle it if he gave me £200 refund (I knew the real cost to put it right wouild be much more), but he refused saying 'no refunds'.

So, now I have got Gassafe involved and complained to Glowworm for whom he is an approved installer. He gets very angry about this acting like I am being unreasonable. I have threatened him with court action and am currently getting quotes to put the work right.

Some things I would like to know are, is it right what he says about not being able to know that the house didn't have the wiring before he had almost completed installing the new boiler? This seems very unlikely to be true to me because he should have known that the old boiler didn't require that wiring so why would he assume that the house had it? Also other plumbers have told me its quite easy to check and I suppose you can see quite easily what wiring is there in the cabinet containing the pump and junction box. I have made the point to him that he should have done a proper site survey and could have either given me a higher quote, recommended to fix the old boiler (which just had a broken fan), declined the work, or suggested to fit a new boiler which didn't require the wiring. Another plumber has told me that a Baxi would be suitable. Is this a reasonable point?

His latest offer is that he will give me £650 refund and he will come and remove the boiler. I have said no and told him that I am getting all the information together to start a 'small claims' action against him. His main point in his latest email seems to be that when 'I offered to do the work' I denied him the opportunity to do it and he says he wanted to do it all the time. But he actually told me that he couldn't do it, he never offered to do it and has refused to do it ever since.

Sponsored Links
have you had a quote off a electrican ? only reqs a cable from the boiler to pump ,then ask the installer if he will cover the cost must be better than going to court ,

Personally, I think he dropped a bo11ock. He should have checked the wires available and could have specified a boiler that didn't require a pump over run.

If I had of made the same mistake, I would just get on with it.

It's a shame you both can't come to a compromise.

Yeah, +1 as terry says.

It's really been his oversight IMO. He should have ensured everything he needed was in place, made provision if anything else was needed or designed according to what was there, as part of his survey and tender.

Sponsored Links
have you had a quote off a electrican ? only reqs a cable from the boiler to pump ,then ask the installer if he will cover the cost must be better than going to court ,

I'm trying to get quotes and will offer him the chance to cover the cost when I have them. I have suggested to him in the past that I could get a 3rd party in to do it if he would cover the cost and he either ignored me or refused.

It's not really electrical work per-se which is the problem its actually getting the cable run between the to places in the house which could involve lifting floors etc. I'm not sure how big a job it is for a professional to be honest. I think electricians have some equipment like a fishing rod which they can use to push wiring into ceiling and wall cavities and only cause minimum damage. I am not sure. I'm asking 2 installers for quotes for the whole job though.

It is an easy oversight that anyone could make! Could and not should!

A friend had a free boiler installed under a Warmfront scheme. The installer wired it like yours and when I asked Vaillant about it they said it is wrong and if their engineer came out under the warranty they would charge £90 for the visit and not return until it had been corrected.

The Warmfront subbing installer was not very clever but expects to be paid for correcting his mistake. When I have a moment I will draft a letter for her to send to the company who fronted the installation.

Regardless, there is a simple wireless method of creating the "extra wire" that might cost about £50 and take an hour to fit. But not all engineers know about that or would even understand it.

Yes, I think that you are totally over reacting and being very harsh towards him. I appreciate that he has made a very basic mistake and does not seem to know what to do about it but it can be corrected ( and done properly quite cheaply ) and yet you are wanting to take him out with court cases to cost him perhaps £1000 +.

Totally unreasonable of you in my opinion!

In fact, had he noticed it when he gave his quote then he would have quoted you extra! With that in mind I think that its YOU who should pay the extra required to sort it out.

You are taking advantage of a rather dim witted fellow.

Tony

Another thing he says is that he doesn't want to come around and have some kind of confrontation which I have assured him will not be the case. He has described me as 'vehement' in my communications. I think he just means that I stood up for myself. Its not just this he has also done other things which I think are unreasonable such as:

His website says he gives 12 months warranty on his workmanship for boiler installation, but when I asked him about it he said "don't assume it's warrantied".

I had 2 radiators which were not working before he started the installation which I fully declared to him and said I didn't expect him to fix them but thought they may start working after he did his flush which was included as part of the install. He did spend some extra time trying to get them working which I was very grateful to him for and said so, but I never asked him to. As part of this we agreed that he would fit a new radiator with new valves (and a TRV) on one and new valves on the other. He quoted for this but he didn't even fit the valves on one rad saying he would have had to alter the pipe tails. I paid him anyway and didn't make a fuss. He charged me for the valves (expensive Drayton ones), never fitted them and took them home with him and never informed me.

I was extremely polite with him throughout and only after he became very slippery about the boiler issue did I use some language in a couple fo SMS messages such as 'you screwed up' and I called him a bodger over the 'wiring up the pump to run permanently' thing. This was probably a mistake but it was very mild and don't see how he can say he's frighted to come around.

It is an easy oversight that anyone could make! Could and not should!

A friend had a free boiler installed under a Warmfront scheme. The installer wired it like yours and when I asked Vaillant about it they said it is wrong and if their engineer came out under the warranty they would charge £90 for the visit and not return until it had been corrected.

The Warmfront subbing installer was not very clever but expects to be paid for correcting his mistake. When I have a moment I will draft a letter for her to send to the company who fronted the installation.

Regardless, there is a simple wireless method of creating the "extra wire" that might cost about £50 and take an hour to fit. But not all engineers know about that or would even understand it.

Yes, I think that you are totally over reacting and being very harsh towards him. I appreciate that he has made a very basic mistake and does not seem to know what to do about it but it can be corrected ( and done properly quite cheaply ) and yet you are wanting to take him out with court cases to cost him perhaps £1000 +.

Totally unreasonable of you in my opinion!

In fact, had he noticed it when he gave his quote then he would have quoted you extra! With that in mind I think that its YOU who should pay the extra required to sort it out.

Tony

I don't want to take him to court though, that's a last resort. I want it fixed whether it costs £50 or £1000. I have offered him many opportunities and have only got 'harsh' with him as a last resort. He fitted the boiler in December. I've given him many chances and was very polite and only became harsh with him recently. And maybe you are right that it can be fixed properly for £50 but how many hours can I be expected to spend finding someone who knows how? If it costs £50 I will only claim £50. Actually I won't bother claiming anything unless it costs over 200 because I am so fed up with it all.

In fact, had he noticed it when he gave his quote then he would have quoted you extra! With that in mind, I think that its YOU who should pay the extra required to sort it out.

Tony

If you are as "reasonable" as you seem to think then why dont you agree to pay a small extra?

Are you 6' 6" and is he 5' 7" ?

Tony

In fact, had he noticed it when he gave his quote then he would have quoted you extra! With that in mind, I think that its YOU who should pay the extra required to sort it out.

Tony

If you are as "reasonable" as you seem to think then why dont you agree to pay a small extra?

Are you 6' 6" and is he 5' 7" ?

Tony

Because he has never offered to fix it properly at any price. If he would had ever responded to me saying that he could fix it meeting the manufacturers installation requirements and said he would charge me £50 I would have bitten his hand off.

Edit: Anyway, thanks for your comments. I made this thread to get a mix of reactions of course.

He promotes himself as a proffessional, you hired him as such.

I would expect a proffessional to install to regulations and manufactures instructions, anything less isnt err....proffessional

May as well get the bloke out of the pub

And are you significantly taller ( or just heavier ) than he is ?

To explain why he is apparently worried about you attacking him if he comes round?

As I intimated earlier, not that many would know how to use a wireless connection instead of fitting an extra wire.

Tony

Most experienced installers understand that an Ideal Classic won't have pump overrun nor a permanent Live, and this is normally explained at the quote stage that a separate cable may have to be run. The other option is to run a 4/5 core cable outside in conduit into the roof space and back into the airing cupboard.
Sorry but you got yourself a bad one based on your side of the story.

If there is a permanent live available close to the boiler then it would satisfy the requirement for a pump over run if a relay with a delay off was used at the boiler.

Because it is not supplied by Vaillant/Glowworm it is unlikely that they would approve of it.

How their engineer would react is difficult to guess, but I would guess that few would realise that it does create the required pump over run. Consequently most would probably take the view that it is not installed in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions.

Furthermore the frost protection feature of the boiler will only work when it has a permanent live supply.

But if there was a permanent live available near the boiler ( with the same supply neutral ) then the existing cable could just be used as the switched live to the boiler.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back