Three Way Valve Issue ?? Am I being ripped off ??

what hes done is a good job at a good price, everything is working its just that original pipework means the rad was piped in where he hasnt even worked on

Totally agree

hes waiting for his money because the bloke wants extra work done for free, a grand of that money will prob be materials, which he will have to pay for....

Shame on the OP

Sponsored Links
The English language is a wonderful thing.... It allows folk to communicate precisely. If I was to speak to an electrician and called a lamp a light or a wire a pipe, then he would jump on my case..... Similarly the legal profession rely on words having a meaning. Use the wrong word and the meaning of the sentence changes meaning or becomes nonsensical. Have you ever thought that when you agreed with the installer the details of your installation that poor communication has caused you both to have different understandings of what is to be done? There are plenty of bathroom rads plumbed to heat whilst the DHW is heating in my area, problem is Unless the floors are pulled up, then the engineer has no idea how they plumbed the house 30 or 40 years ago and so will assume that the plumbing is fine unless the customer CLEARLY states that there is a problem... I had a similar problem with a customer a few years ago but I changed the pipework for her FOC.... Not because I am a nice guy, but because the pipes were easy to access and because I had quoted a fair price for a fair job and the profit in the job allowed me to do this minor alteration.... If a price is cut to the bone like your price seems to be, then everything is an extra..

That's the trouble with you CH engineers you all think you're fxxxing clever and the rest us are thick as sh@t. You're all a bunch of bigheads and clever dicks who we're supposed to feel sorry for "because you've got to make a living". Just because you operate in a niche trade where Mr Average Joe Public has little knowledge you think you can take advantage and treat us with contempt.

You're probably being treated like this for two reasons. Firstly because you've settled on your own assumptions because replies (that you asked for) are not what you want to hear.
Secondly because you're not, nor likely, to be a customer of the contributors here - ie. they owe you nothing.

Sponsored Links
[/quote]
is the bathroom floor tiled ????[/quote]

No the bathroom floor isn't tiled. When I asked him why he didn't repipe the bathroom rad he initially said it was because he could not get the vinyl up as it was glued down !! When I told him this was silly and I could easily re-glue it or at worst replace the vinyl which only cost £50 he then said he hadn't included it the price of the job. Told me that was the way it was and put the phone down on me. Sent me the bill two weeks later.

Thanks for your replies guys, I realise now I'm in the wrong totally, it's all my fault I should have more knowledge of c/heating systems and be more aware of how these work before engaging an engineer so I can tell him exactly what I want doing. I'll take your advice and put the cheque in the post tomorrow, with a £100 tip on top, be eternally grateful for the work that has been done and be most humbled that at least I have heat from all the other rads. I'll put an old parafin heater in the bathroom to take the chill off and thank God that I at least I had somebody that was prepared to lower themselves to even consider doing the work for such a slime-ball as me. I now know my place in the food chain, right at the bottom.

Thanks for your replies guys, I realise now I'm in the wrong totally, it's all my fault I should have more knowledge of c/heating systems and be more aware of how these work before engaging an engineer so I can tell him exactly what I want doing. I'll take your advice and put the cheque in the post tomorrow, with a £100 tip on top, be eternally grateful for the work that has been done and be most humbled that at least I have heat from all the other rads. I'll put an old parafin heater in the bathroom to take the chill off and thank God that I at least I had somebody that was prepared to lower themselves to even consider doing the work for such a slime-ball as me. I now know my place in the food chain, right at the bottom.

At least it's been an education for you and you know more now than you did yesterday ;)

is the bathroom floor tiled ????[/quote]

No the bathroom floor isn't tiled. When I asked him why he didn't repipe the bathroom rad he initially said it was because he could not get the vinyl up as it was glued down !! When I told him this was silly and I could easily re-glue it or at worst replace the vinyl which only cost £50 he then said he hadn't included it the price of the job. Told me that was the way it was and put the phone down on me. Sent me the bill two weeks later.

Thanks for your replies guys, I realise now I'm in the wrong totally, it's all my fault I should have more knowledge of c/heating systems and be more aware of how these work before engaging an engineer so I can tell him exactly what I want doing. I'll take your advice and put the cheque in the post tomorrow, with a £100 tip on top, be eternally grateful for the work that has been done and be most humbled that at least I have heat from all the other rads. I'll put an old parafin heater in the bathroom to take the chill off and thank God that I at least I had somebody that was prepared to lower themselves to even consider doing the work for such a slime-ball as me. I now know my place in the food chain, right at the bottom.[/quote]

That £100 could pay to have the rad repiped ;)

to be honest dylan, youve got what you paid for....

few questions

1) how many qoutes did you get
2) if more than one did you take the cheapest
3) did you have an attitude with him

lets be civil....

put yoursel in his shoes, he prices a job, i can tell from your posts you wanted this done the cheapest way possible, hes done the work required to bring you up to regs.

not slaggin you off or owt you just need to realise youve had what you paid for, and a good price imo.

get someone else to do it.

Thats good of you to be so humble Dylan, its not easy to admit when your wrong. :p

No I've learned a lot. I now know I'm a right unreasonable cxnt who's treatment of my engineer shows what a complete wxxxxr I am and I should hang my head in disgrace. I've been very disrespectful to the central heating profession and I am writing a letter to GasSafe asking them to pass on my sincere condolences to all members of this forum. Hopefully what I've learned from this I can take forward with me in life to try and make myself a better person. It will be very hard I'm sure but with God on my side supporting me I know I will be able to make it eventually. When I buy my next house I will have to make sure it has electric heating as I am not worthy of any heating system powered by gas.

In the meantime....... didn't I do well. Got 54 replies to my post !!

If you think that gas men are a pain in the butt, just wait 'till you have to deal with an electrician.....

good on ya lad.

you'll probably find sparks are just the same - we all want paying for a job done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back