Am I being harsh on this plumber?

I'm curious about the £650 though. Is he proposing to refit your old boiler or leave a hole in the wall? To be fair it would almost certainly outlast the new one :LOL:

He is proposing to leave a hole. He actually left the old boiler out in the rain in the middle of the front lawn and Gypsys got it about a day later.

Sponsored Links
Out of curiousity, doesn't the MI manual include a section which the gassafe installer has to fill in which proves that it has been installed correctly? :confused: If so, then installing it so that the error code is a regular feature seems to suggest that the plumber is in breach of contract, surely?

The Manual includes a section called the Benchmark which should be completed by the installer. Most makers only cover the warranty if it has been completed.

Hardly half of the boilers that I see have had it filled in.

Tony

Sponsored Links
I would say not, because so few boiler installers do it.

It SHOULD be completed.

But then a garage servicing your car SHOULD perhaps check your tyre pressures. Most just look at the tyres! A few may kick them as well !

For a legal case to succeed on that basis it should be well established that the norm is to complete the benchmark.

But it would usually succeed because the boiler is not installed according to the makers instructions and as a result it is causing the F22 fault regularly.

But to me it is so sad that these two have reached this situation because the remedy is so simple and, in the right hands, so cheap.

But I would not want to be doing any work for such a vindictive person who contemplates court action over a £100 bit of work which he should be paying for in any case.

The installer made a minor, and common, error and this resulted in the omission from his quote of a little extra work which, if he had noticed it, would have been chargeable for a little extra.

Most people make occasional mistakes, even surgeons when they amputate the wrong bit!

Tony

As an RGI, my sympathies would normally be with the hard pressed over stressed installer. In this case, however, spotting that a pump overrun and permanent live is required on this type of install is so basic that the fault is clearly with the installer. He gave a fixed price to install to manufacturers specification. He has not fulfilled his side of the contract. Once he discovered his mistake, he should have found a way around the problem. The fact that several posts have offered relatively easy and cheap solutions highlights how unreasonable the installer's position is. We have only heard one side of the story and it appears that the relationship has gone beyond the point of repair.
My advice would be to get someone else in, explain the problem and get them to repair. Try sending the bill to the original guy. He may pay up or he may not but its got to be better than going to court

I always find that an independent mediator is in a far better position to persuade the two parties to come to a solution.

I once managed to make a landlord and sitting tenant come to an agreement when the tenant wanted to move but they were not talking anymore. The landlord agreed with me to pay £10k to the tenant and the tenant to move!

Its easier for someone not personally involved to make others see sense.

Tony

My thoughts as an installer.
A quotation is a fixed price to complete the stated work to an acceptable standard. I always give written quotes on installation work to clarify exactly what is to be done.
If you find that you have overlooked some thing, then the onus is on you to rectify the problem and complete the job for the stated price.
FFS 2 or 3 hours to install an additional cable should not be a problem.

I agree with you Terry, and that is exactly what I would do if I ever made a mistake.

But most large firms include a clause in their terms "errors and omissions excepted".

This case seems to be just a silly error!

But both the customer and the RGI are taking silly stances!

Are you sure it wasn't you that installed it Tony??? :rolleyes:

Sounds like it doesn't it? I've already told him that if it can be done for a low price like he suggests I won't be going down the court route.

I'm not convinced I've seen any evidence in this thread that a low price option exists which would satisfy the warranty in any case. I think the solution has the be physically running the correct cabling.

I'm sorry but the guy should be doing the required work FOC....He got it wrong it is his job to do it right...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back