Expert Advice Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just lowered a hall ceiling in a flat for a client. They have got massive ceilings and want it lowered so that they can board it out and use it for a small loft. I was just about to board it out when they asked if they could have spotlights put in it? I am a plasterer so am not sure how this all works so i thought i would ask a spark to get them some good practical advice The hall is only a metre wide and 4 metres long.

Any help would be really appreciated

Sponsored Links
Creating a loft is not the same as lowering a ceiling - I hope you got building regs approval, and did all the structural stuff properly...

And talking of Building Regs, the new electrical work will require approval, so you/your client will be needing an electrician anyway, so best to give the problem(s) to her, as she'll be able to see the place and sort out what's needed far better than people on the internet...

yeah i did actually, not a novice mate.

I was only asking so they could get some advice before getting an electrician out, i am not going to do it myself!

Yes it is possible
If its a flat, she will need fire rated downlights

Hope that answers the immediate queries ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice i appreciate it

I thought that it might be a bit dodgy especially if you are going to board over the top of them and i said you probably won't be able to put any insulation in between because of the heat. Is that true?

I thought that it might be a bit dodgy especially if you are going to board over the top of them and i said you probably won't be able to put any insulation in between because of the heat. Is that true?

You're right, it isn't generally a good idea to put downlights/spotlights anywhere near loft insulation. While I don't doubt that it is fireproof and very unlikely to set alight, it will at best restrict the cooling of the light fitting and possibly cause damage to the wiring or short lamp life. The exception would be if you have a proper hood over the fitting, otherwise leave a good gap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back