EXPLODING UNVENTED CYLINDER

Status
Not open for further replies.
What the man said about the violent explosion....

Re: the damage to the expansion vessel, the metal is ripped for around 270 degrees underneath, nearly where the vessel reaches its maximum diameter and the top of the vessel is bent back at an angle. Gap is about 5cm at widest point. I reckon it must have been going some to bend it in that way.

Very violent indeed.

The op wrote VIOLENTLY, How does he know, he wasn't there.

Did the neighbours come running to see if everything was all right.

As I said the cylinder would go before the expansion vessel, lets see the pics, I'm sure you have some tucked away somewhere.

Sponsored Links
We'd all better stop fitting system boilers then, as they all have an expansion vessel, even BB's beloved Broags must now be classed as life threatening :eek: :rolleyes: :LOL: :LOL:

Forum idiot :rolleyes:

BB, what would happen if the HEX on a thermal store were to be passing?

Up to 6 bar pressure building up in cylinder then heated so pressure would increase to what say 8 bar?

Then the thermostat fails and the water is heated and heated and heated...

There are no safety devices at all on the thermal store so this pressure could then find a fault either on the cylinder or expansion vessel (due to manufacturing or installation error) and...

BANG!!

Hot water and steam and an exploding cylinder all from the safety of a thermal store!

If it happens to have an F+E tank then you'll just get hot water piling through the ceiling and onto an innocent child sleeping below. But at least no Bang!

We'd all better stop fitting system boilers then, as they all have an expansion vessel, even BB's beloved Broags must now be classed as life threatening

I think he forgets that thermal stores also incorporate expansion vessels!!

Sponsored Links
Is THIS the holy grail that everyone seems to have been looking for.

NOPE its an electric one from what i read but why are you helping Boll88k Brain with a picture?. the challenge from us is for him to post a single picture of an unvented cylinder fitted in a uk property that has actually exploded .

Is THIS the holy grail that everyone seems to have been looking for.

NOPE its an electric one from what i read but why are you helping Boll88k Brain with a picture?. the challenge from us is for him to post a single picture of an unvented cylinder fitted in a uk property that has actually exploded .
agreed. its like giving lots of E number sweets to a hyper kid. lol

The ONE person here who is NOT qualified, is Big Burner !

I'm not qualified either, therefore I'd never tamper with an unvented cylinder, but how do you know that Big Burner is not qualified??

EDIT: No offence Agile, I am aware that you could know for certain, it's VERY important that you don't get offended.

Stuart

Interesting extension to the Screwfix thread:

Pictures of the exploding cylinder:

ckj9vv

cfx3q2

NewBury - UK
Roof blown off house and then brought back down on to the bungalow after hot water tank causes explosion

houseexplosion_sz-mi14issto38154a.jpg

A HOME in Pamber Heath was wrecked this afternooon (Monday) after the roof of the bungalow was lifted by the force of an explosion.
Firefighters from Tadley and Basingstoke rushed to the scene at 12.10pm, after what was though to be a gas explosion at the private bungalow in Silchester Road.

It was later discovered to be caused by an electric hot water tank.
Luckily no-one was at home at the time and no-one was hurt.
Upon arrival, firefighters discovered the explosion had caused extensive damage to internal and external walls and the roof.
Hampshire fire spokesman, Mark Jones, who attended the scene, said the bungalow was now "uninhabitable" following damage to internal and load bearing walls.

"The roof was blown off and came back down on the house, as all the tiles were loose," he said.

"And there's a big outwards bow in one of the outside walls."
According to Mr Jones the cause was an electric hot water tank, which got "hotter and hotter" after an emersion heater had been left on, with the water turned off.

Incident commander, Tony Evans of Basingstoke Fire Station, decided not to the evacuate the surrounding properties, which were not damaged in the blast.

He said he was confident there would be no more explosions.
Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service’s Urban Search and Rescue team, which is trained to rescue people from collapsed buildings and to stabilise unsafe structures, was put on standby but not required.

Gotta start taking the camera with me so the next time I get called to a ceiling down due to faulty vented cylinder(immersion/boiler stat) I can post some dramatic photo's showing why we shouldn't be installing them. We do, because we're idiots :LOL:

Went to one last year ceiling down over a young child's bed, what a missed opportunity.

That cylinder looks like those made by a company based in Nelson Lancashire.

It looks to be a pucker install too :LOL:

So yet again its an exploding cylinder that hasn't exploded! it is the expansion vessel that has split! hardly an exploded unvented cylinder. which by the way is what Bird Box keeps banging on about.

Stuart - the reason Agle question Bird bath's abilities is because he continually posts complete tosh and cannot provide any evidence that he has even got a qualification in Gas or Plumbing let alone Unvented.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back