EXPLODING UNVENTED CYLINDER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Just spotted the rust bubbles on the EV showing it had failed long before it split, its a wonder they hadn't spotted the rusty coloured hot water. lack of maintenance poor install same guy who left the filling loop attached? or is that because another fault is being cured with a regular fix.

I also noticed on the SF forum that the UK is being flooded with cheap Chinese unvented cylinders, wherever did you get that idea from :LOL:

Is THIS the holy grail that everyone seems to have been looking for.

No, probably not.

It's a year old, 8th January 2008. A quick Google for the weather conditions on that day shows that the BBC was predicting snow for much of the country.

It is much more likely to have been a vented system with an old-type immersion heater thermostat with no manual reset thermostat, which had failed 'ON' by the contacts welding themselves together (as they do).

No worries there, until the open vent and cold feed in the attic, outside the insulated envelope of the building, became frozen overnight. When the time-switch then switched on the immersion heater, it had become an unvented system and it did explode. Most UK public authorities (PSA, ILEA, GLC, NHS, etc.) used to specify pressure relief valves to be fitted to vented storage cylinders because of this risk.

So, I don't know for certain, but I'd think this was an explosion of a vented cylinder.

An unvented cylinder would have had a manual-reset thermostat (so would many vented cylinders now) . Even if both thermostats had failed in the 'ON' position, the system would still have been protected by the temperature & pressure relief valve and the pressure relief valve. As we can see from this incident, a properly installed unvented cylinder would have been much safer.

And that is also why BigBurner/Water Systems/ Dr. Drivel/ IMM/etc isn't plastering that report all over the internet. He is trying to trim the facts to fit his strange opinions.

What job was this on AJS the split vessel one :?:
The PRV is connected to the TPRV, there's no outlet. :LOL:

Yep that's the one.

Apparently there's a tee between the two valve, which also picks up the htg prv before connecting to the soil pipe.

An observation I made elsewhere is, this is supposed to be part of an extension works.

But that cylinder looks like it's been there for years. :rolleyes:

You are saying it failed because of poor quality manufacturing. Then expect many sides of houses to come down in the future.

I note that he is now posting as Water Systems again!

Has he been banned as BigBurner ?

Do they listen then Gas4you, I've never had any success on that front. :eek:

Seems they do, bambergasbag has disappeared, and so did his next handle "metrogas" in a very short time.

You are saying it failed because of poor quality manufacturing.
Just spotted the rust bubbles on the EV showing it had failed long before it split, its a wonder they hadn't spotted the rusty coloured hot water. lack of maintenance poor install same guy who left the filling loop attached?

anyone can make this same bomb - TPRV is connected straight to a PRV no wonder it blew the expansion vessel as they also face each other so no where for pressure to go!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back