Explosive Ignition

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys,

My boiler got serviced this morning and is apparently in perfect working order, but I'm wondering if it's suffering from intermittent exposive ignition. I shared the symptoms with the Gas Safe engineer who carried out the service but he didn't seem to think there was anything serious wrong. He's the expert and I'm not, but I thought a second opinion might be useful.

The boiler lights very smoothly, as the engineer remarked. I'm generally not around to hear the boiler but on three occasions during lighting I have heard it make a "whoosh" noise and then have to reattempt to light. Always on the second attempt it lights smoothly. What's worrying is that the whoosh seems to be accompanied by a bang from the outside exit of the flue. Unfortunately the flue exit is 5m away from the boiler so it's hard to pin down the bang with the whoosh, if that makes sense.

Does this sound like explosive ignition and is it something I should take urgently seriously? The engineer this morning didn't seem to think a bang from the flue was very likely, and he seemed like he'd been around for a while and in any case would know better than I. He suggested it might be condensate sitting in the flue, though why that would require a relight I don't know.

Thanks,
Chris

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Was a flue gas analyser used? were you left with any combustion readings?

Explosive ignition could relate to a number of things, ie: ignition electrode , gas/air ratio etc etc.

Was a flue gas analyser used? were you left with any combustion readings?

Explosive ignition could relate to a number of things, ie: ignition electrode , gas/air ratio etc etc.

Yes, he did the full analysis and seemed very happy and everything was in order. Good gas pressure, but I can't remember numbers. The CO reading was 10ppm, and the CO2 7.5, does that sound about right? He said it was very efficient.

the CO2 7.5, does that sound about right? He said it was very efficient.

These should be set up for around 9% CO2 (60/80 ppm)

7.5% CO2 is more than likely the reason for explosive ignition (fuel lean) :eek:

Explosive ign is a concern on any boiler, but more so on these, especially if fitted with extended flues. These are joined with a silicone based glue and unless screwed together can separate. I have seen many cases like this and you should get it sorted asap. If your flue is extended, say into the roof space, was it visually checked?

Explosive ign is a concern on any boiler, but more so on these, especially if fitted with extended flues. These are joined with a silicone based glue and unless screwed together can separate. I have seen many cases like this and you should get it sorted asap. If your flue is extended, say into the roof space, was it visually checked?

I have inspection hatches fitted and he had a good look at the full length of the flue. I'll call them and let them know about it.

Note that it's only going bang very infrequently, so it will be very difficult to diagnose when they get here because I can't reproduce it. I have a service plan so it's not the cost I'm worried about, it's them messing around with everything they can think of while not actually fixing the problem.

EDIT: he didn't seem at all concerned about 7.5%. Seems like everyone's got different views on the subject :(

Only difference of opinion really is your chaps idea of what it should be and what the manufacturer's think it should be.

If I am playing Devil's advocate I would say the manual for the 155 (no x) does actually say <20ppm CO AND <9.5% - rather than giving a range.

But.... it is what it is and your chap has not left it correct.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back