Expnsion Gap Coverage On Real Wood flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am an occasional DIY participant, hence this question may be a little simple! I am fitting a real wood floor in a room about 18m2. I have encountered a number of small problems which I would appreciate some advice around.

1) I am having great difficulty hammering the end piece in (the one which meets the wall. I have a tool to do this but no matter how hard I seem to hit it I can't get it to fit. I have got round this by reducing the lip with a stanley knife and using plenty of adhesive. Is this a really bad thing to do, and if so do you have any advice on getting the boards to fit?

2) I am concerned that the expansion gap is 15-16mm in places as this was the only way I could seem to get the first 3 rows in straight. All the quadrant/scotia I have seen has a depth of 15-20mm. Is this enough to ensure the floor is secured, or can I get something around 20mm which I would much prefer!!

Any help would be much appreciated as I am starting this now and want to finish this today!!!

Sponsored Links
you can use larger beading if you want but as long as it covers the gap it dont matter what size. The beading is not there to secure the floor in anyway. Its there to simply hide the expansion gap. Make sure you secure the beading to the wall and not the floor.

And yes you can shave the tongue and glue the end boards. I presume its an engineered product and not a solid?

you can use larger beading if you want but as long as it covers the gap it dont matter what size. The beading is not there to secure the floor in anyway. Its there to simply hide the expansion gap. Make sure you secure the beading to the wall and not the floor.

And yes you can shave the tongue and glue the end boards. I presume its an engineered product and not a solid?

Yeah its parawood engineered 13.5mm. I have nearly done now just the last two rows, hence I might shave the lip of the length of the borad
to help them fit as there is not much room to swing the mallett due to a radiator!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back