Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all, just a quick question, I've been looking at this subject quite a bit now can anybody give me some hard evidence requarding exporting a earth to a out building, I've heard so many diffrent things like you shouldn't connect a pme earth to a outbuilding earthing terminal and all sorts, but I can't find any evidence from the regs to say exactly what should be done and what can't be done it's confusing me tbh as every electrician seams to have a diffrent way of doing it that they think is correct, any help would be helpful thanks.

Sponsored Links
... and then it only really depends on whether you can afford (want to spend on) the necessary bonding conductor.

But we're can i find actual guidelines to follow for all the diffrent circumstances?

Sponsored Links
Sorry I posted a link for the link to the IEE but it dont seem to work now.

Evening all, just a quick question,
Ha ha.

I've been looking at this subject quite a bit now can anybody give me some hard evidence requarding exporting a earth to a out building,
There aren't any.
The same rules apply that do anywhere else - earthing, bonding, volt drop, EFLI.

I've heard so many diffrent things like you shouldn't connect a pme earth to a outbuilding earthing terminal
That's not true.

but I can't find any evidence from the regs to say exactly what should be done and what can't be done
Yes you can - BS7671.

it's confusing me tbh
Not surprising.

as every electrician seams to have a diffrent way of doing it that they think is correct,
but may not be.

Just treat the outbuilding like a kitchen however many metres away it may be.
If it has extraneous-conductive-parts they will need main bonding; this will today be 10mm² minimum back to the MET so if it is 100m. it may be cheaper to TT it.
If your supply cable is 10mm² anyway, you can use that.

There is no standard plan. It's up to you.

Yes it is John, but if possible I would like to know we're I can find information about powering outbuildings with diffrent earthing systems at the dwelling as I can't seam to find any concrete answers requarding this subject

Then it's a no brainer. You should not export the existing earth. Just bang in a new rod at the outbuilding.

Then it's a no brainer. You should not export the existing earth. Just bang in a new rod at the outbuilding.
Indeed, which is why I asked the question.

Since the OP was interested in knowing about the general considerations when earthing an outbuilding ..... As with any locally TT'd outbuilding, one does not want a situation in which one can simultaneously touch the local TT earth and the imported earth (whether it be TT or TN), if it is not 'bonded', since there is a risk of the imported house earth being a a high potential (relative to true earth) due to a fault. One could simply connect ('bond') together the two TT earths in the outbuilding, which would prevent any dangerous pds existing within the building, provided that any extraneous-conductive parts within it were bonded to the local earth. However, if one did that, an LE fault in the house could still result in any exposed-c-ps within the outbuilding acquiring a fairly high potential relative to truth earth - which would represent a potential hazard if one could touch one of those exposed-c-ps whilst standing outside the outbuilding, or if there were 'extraneous-c-ps' (like a floor) which were effectively unbondable.

I would therefore think that, just as when the house earth is TN, it is still advisable not to 'join' the two TT earths (which is fairly obvious) and, more importantly, not to allow the house's TT earth to be touchable within the outbuilding - for example, by ensuring that the metal parts of any SWA gland on an incoming cable are not touchable.

Kind Regards, John

It would surely depend on the distance to the outbuilding and between the two rods.
I don't think it would make much difference unless the distance was so great (and the cable of such a size) that the resistance/impedance of the cable was appreciable in relation to the resistance/impedance of the TT electrode, which I doubt would often be the case.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back