Exports fall

Fillyboy's comment was fake news, totally.
Taking the few member states that I highlighted, (shown below) the surplus percentages are well over any 'imagined' 3% decree from the EU.
One would also worry that if the EU dictates the percentage surplus allowed, it would have concerns about any negative surplus also.

View attachment 169764

Sorry, edited to reflect correct figures. It does not change the essence of the comment.

Oh really?

https://www.euractiv.com/section/eu...nder-eu-scrutiny-for-current-account-surplus/

And on your little chart, I would suggest the high figures for the Netherlands are due to the amount of exports from other countries transiting via Rotterdam.

Sponsored Links
Oh really?

https://www.euractiv.com/section/eu...nder-eu-scrutiny-for-current-account-surplus/

And on your little chart, I would suggest the high figures for the Netherlands are due to the amount of exports from other countries transiting via Rotterdam.

Your argument that Germanys trade surplus is a problem, seems to be incorrect.

A quick google of 'Germanys trade surplus', returns plenty of assertions its a major issue -but they are tend to be US sources.

This is a more balanced view:
As a curiosity, one should also note the assertion that a surplus for Germany means that other countries have to run a deficit is, statistically speaking, not correct since the rest of the world is in rough balance (and mother earth is running a current account of about 300 billion with the rest of the universe
The lead story in the Economist (8 July 2017) “Why the German current-account surplus is bad for the world economy” starts from the assumption that the rest of the world would benefit if Germany were to spend more. This holds true only in a world that is constrained by demand. But this is less and less the case since the global output gap has already fallen below 0.5% (of potential output) and is projected to disappear within a year or two. Under these conditions, the German current account surplus, which amounts to 0.33% of global output, cannot do a lot of damage to the global economy

http://www.econpol.eu/index.php/opinion_20170807

Anyway, Germany's trade surplus is not an argument for Brexit.

Your argument that Germanys trade surplus is a problem, seems to be incorrect.

Not according to the EU.

Barroso said that the surplus could indicate that Germany could do more to help rebalance the EU economy through raising German domestic demand and investment, and opening up the German services sector.

The analysis falls under new European Union rules, in place from the end of 2011, that charge the 28-nation's executive arm with checking that countries do not develop dangerous economic imbalances that could become a problem if not addressed.

A current account deficit larger than 4% of GDP or a persistently very large surplus above 6% are among the warning signs in the Commission's scoreboard of around 30 economic indicators.

The in-depth review is likely to be finished in February or March next year.

If it comes to the conclusion that the surplus is excessive and therefore damaging to Germany and Europe's economy, the Commission will recommend steps to fix the problem.

If Germany were to ignore such recommendations, it could be fined 0.1% of its GDP.

Welcome back to the forum Alun, I mean Himmy. :)

MOD: User deleted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Not according to the EU

I wonder why you chose to not include the link in your post :?:

Could it be that you have been selective in your quotes (y)
Heres a few to add balance
A high surplus does not necessarily mean that there is an imbalance,

Let's be clear, we are not criticising Germany's external economic competitiveness or its success in global markets

But a persistent high surplus also means that Germans are persistently investing a large part of their savings abroad

It was a good attempt though Fillyboy :whistle:

Ps.......did the Germans get fined

Notchy, any scrap of scare mongering over brexit,,,you transform into FACT.

If I may, I would like to just point out:

I asked on another thread:
'Following no deal, will the 759 trade agreements UK currently have reduce to 0' ?

Your answer:
'I have no idea'

Am I being reasonable to suggest; if you have no idea, then you don't have the knowledge to conclude that it is scaremongering?

If I may, I would like to just point out:

I asked on another thread:
'Following no deal, will the 759 trade agreements UK currently have reduce to 0' ?

Your answer:
'I have no idea'

Am I being reasonable to suggest; if you have no idea, then you don't have the knowledge to conclude that it is scaremongering?
You have no idea either

You have no idea either
I do know.

You just need to read article 50 and WTO rules.

Please dont conflate fact with opinion.

By the way, there is an easy way to keep all 759 trade agreements and keep £290b of friction free trade.

Yes, Boris will do that and just say the UK has left.

Everyone happy.

Brexiters will shout "Told you it would be better".

Sponsored Links
Back