Exposed cable entering into electric shower - dangerous?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just had a shower installed and there is a small stretch of cable exposed. Is this safe, does it need to be in conduit? Apparently the shower is designed for surface cable entry (Triton T80z) but I just can't believe that it's ok to have a mains cable exposed on a shower wall.

Sponsored Links
ELECTRICAL INSTALLATION IMPORTANT: Switch off the electricity supply at the mains before proceeding. • The supply cable MUST be secured either by routing through conduit, in trunking, or by embedding in the wall, in accordance with IEE regulations. NOTE: Conduit entry can only be from rear.

That is from the installation manual.......make your own judgement.

Probably better posted in the electrics forum though.

I just spoke to Triton technical help, they said any of the listed entry points are ok for cable but it must be in conduit. And that the conduit should be cut to fit the profile of the shower, I can imagine it won't be a good seal if it's just hand cut and butted up.

So who fitted it like that?

Was he qualified in any way or an odd job man?

Sponsored Links
I believe he is experienced and qualified but how do people check for qualifications and which ones do you look for? I generally instead go on recommendations and obviously using the same people as much as possible when the jobs have worked out and I think they are good. I would definitely not use someone advertised as a handyman for this type of work. It will take work from me to fix this and the replacement shower is not any better than the old one and it's unsafe. I was told a new shower would be better in terms of water pressure, not the case.

shower cable.jpg

That looks poor, and the cable is sloping down towards the shower. Not really ideal. IMO.

It really is of no consequence as to who fitted it.........

I don't think so, isn't it a green/yellow bonding cable, a grey sheathed twin and earth cable and a copper water pipe? Rather messy but probably not 'dangerous'.

I don't think so, isn't it a green/yellow bonding cable, a grey sheathed twin and earth cable and a copper water pipe? Rather messy but probably not 'dangerous'.
If it is Grey sheathed twin and earth why does it need an earth bonding cable, ??

Rubber sheathed cable used to come in Live and Neutral only

What's the unit mounted on? Looks like a backboard of some description! Is that suitable? More photos of install in context would be useful... That one doesn't give the full 'picture' (ahem!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back