shower cable (flex) too short

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A bit of electrical advice please...

Just in the process of replacing an old Watermill electric power shower with a Mira Vigour. Unfortunately, the cable (flex in fact) doesn't reach the terminals of the new shower. Some details about the set-up...

- the supply is via twin and earth flex buried behind the tiles (definitely no slack), running to a 3-pin plug socket in the neighbouring bedroom.
- There is an RCD on the consumer unit
- The Mira Vigour is rated at 150 Watts

Because the footprints of the old and new showers are different, which exposes the cable entry point, I intend to use a short length of surface trunking to route the flex into the new unit - this will also serve to hide the entry hole through the tiles (fortunately this is quite small and neat).

With this set-up, about an inch of flex would reach inside the shower via a top entry point, and once inside the unit it would run very close to the hot and cold supplies. So I would like to know what would be the accepted way of extending the supply by another 6 to 8 inches to reach the terminals, and whether the solution(s) is classified as notifiable work.

Thanks in advance
Matt

Sponsored Links
Don't even think about it - unless this post is a wind-up. Cable joined and mounted in trunking in shower, and running to 13 amp socket :eek: or have I read this wrong.

You need an unbroken 6 or 10mm run of twin and earth, on a dedicated supply from the consumer unit.

Get a spark in.

Thanks Whitespirit. However I think your confusing this unit with an 'electric shower' rated in the kilowatts (8, 9 ,10 kW etc) for the heating element. This topic is about an electric POWER shower (150 Watts to run the pump motor).

Matt

Electrical Work in BATHROOMS has to be completed by a Part "P" Registered Electrician and notified it is illegal to carry out electrical work in Kitchens, Bathrooms and External (not an exhaustive list,) unless qualified under building regs part P. ;)

Sponsored Links
You could crimp the cable inside the trunking. Use proper rachet crimpers with red crimps.

Im not sure if this would be notifiable, if it was a like for like swap then it wouldnt be, but as you intend to extend the cable its not like for like.

your power shower is only needs 3 amp supply and a min of 1.0mm2 cable.

don't invite them round they'll never know. :LOL:

Thanks boilerman, yes I thought it was likely to be notifiable. Could you tell me what the solution would be to extending the flex. Since I can't do it myself I would at least like to to be able to advise my customer.

Careful Seco :LOL:
I've seen crimping mentioned elsewhere on here Londonboy. Wondered whether that might be a solution. I think you're right though; I don't think it would be considered like for like.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back