Extended warranties on appliances

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
...are, as we know, usually not worth it.

But increasingly I'm finding appliances lasting less and less; in the last month a 5 year old neffnaff oven and an 18 month old ikea(whirlpool) dishwasher have been junked for knocking out the RCD. The trouble is this kit is wapped together in china so cheap it's not worth looking at unless it's top-end kit.

I'd say, if your appliances are on RCD protected outlets, extended warranties may be worth consideration (but read the small print, many aren't worth the paper they're printed on)

but here's a thought; the government keep thinking of creative new ways to charge us eco taxes... if they were serious about the environment then every appliance manufacturer should be made, by law, to offer and advertise his product with 3 prices:

1 year, 5 year, and 10 year guarantee's. No BS guarantee that is, the appliance is fixed sharpish or you get a new one, if it fails a set number of times/frequency you get a new one.

Would be interesting to see which brands come out "cheapest", what ya think?

Sponsored Links
As a consumer you have up to 6 years warranty by law, this depends on the product and is based on whether it is reasonable to assume that the product would last longer than the 1 year warranty that most retailers advertise.

A £750 washing machine should last a lot longer than 12 months therefore it would be reasonable to expect a repair/replacement after say 18 months. After say 5 years it would be reasonable to accept a percentage of the original cost as compensation.

The following is from the DTI website (now BERR)

Sale of Goods Act Quick Facts
Subject: Sale of Goods Act, Faulty Goods.

Relevant or Related Legislation: Sale of Goods Act 1979. Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982. Sale and Supply of Goods Act 1994. The Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002.

Key Facts:

• Wherever goods are bought they must "conform to contract". This means they must be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality (i.e. not inherently faulty at the time of sale).

• Goods are of satisfactory quality if they reach the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory, taking into account the price and any description.

• Aspects of quality include fitness for purpose, freedom from minor defects, appearance and finish, durability and safety.

• It is the seller, not the manufacturer, who is responsible if goods do not conform to contract.

• If goods do not conform to contract at the time of sale, purchasers can request their money back "within a reasonable time". (This is not defined and will depend on circumstances)

• For up to six years after purchase (five years from discovery in Scotland) purchasers can demand damages (which a court would equate to the cost of a repair or replacement).

• A purchaser who is a consumer, i.e. is not buying in the course of a business, can alternatively request a repair or replacement.

• If repair and replacement are not possible or too costly, then the consumer can seek a partial refund, if they have had some benefit from the good, or a full refund if the fault/s have meant they have enjoyed no benefit

• In general, the onus is on all purchasers to prove the goods did not conform to contract (e.g. was inherently faulty) and should have reasonably lasted until this point in time (i.e. perishable goods do not last for six years).

• If a consumer chooses to request a repair or replacement, then for the first six months after purchase it will be for the retailer to prove the goods did conform to contract (e.g. were not inherently faulty)

• After six months and until the end of the six years, it is for the consumer to prove the lack of conformity

I suppose that it depends on where you buy the article and the extended warranty. Five years ago, we bought a Hotpoint fridge freezer with a 3 years extended warranty costing £55. Two years later the freezer compartment developed a hairline crack and it was replaced under warranty. I sold the original one for £100 after pointing out the crack to the buyer. Eighteen months on and the replacement developed a similar crack, was again replaced and again I sold the 'old' one. Early this year the same thing happened again and the freezer was again replaced. The guys who bring the replacements wont take the old ones away and so I am left to sell them with what is really only superficial damage. My main point is that with each replacement the extended warranty starts again and the new one now expires in 2011. I'm hoping that the latest one gives us a year or two before the crack develops.

We have just had the new paperwork delivered and I note that the new extended warranty has cost the retailer £95.

Thats intresting. I have one of these in my van. It's about a year old, and has, from day 1, been faulty.

Nothing catastrophic, but loads of bugs, but as you might imagine you want something that just "works" when you're driving a car. Stuff like cutting out, changing day/night skins at odd times, intermittent volume control, etc.

You reckon I got a good chance of throwing it back & demanding a refund, maybe evan 75-80%?

Sponsored Links
Do the circumstances match the criteria,

How much did you pay ? is it reasonable to expect it to last longer than 12 months ? I would chuck the ball back into the retailers court and ask them what they intend to do about it.

If they tell you to s*d off, show them the guidelines, still no luck, write to their head office/customer services dept, still no luck, go the CAB and finally a small claim could be brought to bear.

Retailers love quoting the 12 month thing, and also they like quoting the receipt thing as well which is also nonsense. You must provide a proof of purchase which can be a bank/credit card statement or even a witness ststement from anybody who was with you when you bought it. Most large retailers keep records of your name and address and what you bought and when.

Go get em :LOL:

Run any new appliance flat out for a week - if it can take that it will last for years.

If it fails get your money back [DO NOT ACCEPT A LIKE FOR LIKE REPLACEMENT] and choose a different model/manufacturer.

I heard a good one, when you buy an expensive item (i.e. telly/computer)and they ask about extended warranties (most cost a bomb) ask what extra they will give you for taking it out (i.e. scarts/software) then cancel it (you have 10 days) Freebies :LOL:

Bilioustrumpstaine. Many thanks for that most comprehensive and interesting posting. Could you.or anyone, comment on whether the Act covers a wider range of purchases or services? I notice that the act does say "goods or services" and I am currently in dispute with a holiday accommodation letting agent, where I was sold a two week holiday stay in a seaside flat. I went ahead, based on the information given in the agents website posting but, on arrival, found that most aspects of the accommodation, condition of domestic equipment etc, was entirely at variance with the web description, and it resulted in, after a few days, our departure. Before leaving, I did outline my complaints, in writing, to the letting agent and the property owner. Now, of course, no-one wants to discuss my complaints any further, and are turning a deaf ear to my request for the return of even part of my "up front" payment. I should be interested to know if anyone could advise if this scenario might be covered by the sale of goods act? Thanks for any comment.

Watchmaker, any goods or services have to be as described by the vendor. You cannot, for example, advertise a holiday apartment with a sea view, a DVD player, and brand new kitchen if in fact there are no sea views no DVD player and a ten year old kitchen.

It is no different to buying a second hand car.

If the mis-descriptions are fairly minor then your "case" may be more difficult to pursue. If however their description is a complete load of nonsense, with major mistakes that would affect the enjoyment of your holiday then you have them over a barrel.

If you are having problems with the agency just give them an ultimatum, I wish to have a refund of £x because of this reason(s), should I not hear from you within X days I will pursue the matter through the small claims court.

Give your reasons clearly, stick to the facts, avoid emotion.

Ring them up and ask which member of staff should be named on the summons. I have found that this tends to get their focus fairly quickly. :LOL:

Send any letters via recorded delivery to avoid the age old "lost in the post" scenario.

Don't get mad, get even :cool:

Use the local CAB, they are good at this sort of thing and if needs be they will refer you to other government agencies.

Good luck with it :cool:

Bilioustrumpstaine. Many thanks for another helpful and comprehensive posting and, thanks again for, so promptly, commenting on my query

Sponsored Links
Back