Boiler Warranties

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a new boiler installed last year which came with a 10 year parts and labour warranty. We have just sold our house and clearly the buyer's solicitor wanted to make sure that the servicing conditions had been met and that the warranty was transferrable. What I found concerning was that the boiler manufacturer's website states:

Keeping your warranty valid
Our 10 year warranty is a guarantee of excellence that we’re very proud of. However, to keep your warranty valid, and in the interest of safety, all we ask is you have your boiler serviced annually by a Gas Safe Registered engineer.

However, in the small print in the warranty terms and conditions is a requirement for any unvented cylinder to be serviced annually as well. This particular servicing cost me an additional £45 plus VAT and it took the engineer about 5 minutes to re-charge the cylinder - which, in truth, it didn't need.

If I was staying in my present property, I would have to ask myself whether an additional £54 per year is worth paying just to protect a warranty. The GSR engineer that did the 'service' did say that people rarely bother having their unvented cylinders checked!

I would be interested to know what the professionals think.

Sponsored Links
Wouldn`t like to have you as a customer. Your logic is upside down and inside out.

If I was staying in my present property, I would have to ask myself whether an additional £54 per year is worth paying just to protect a warranty. The GSR engineer that did the 'service' did say that people rarely bother having their unvented cylinders checked!

I would be interested to know what the professionals think.[/QUOTE]
I believe stainless steel cylinders (conventional or unvented) can have a 10-year warranty, but for it to be valid the cylinder must be drained and inspected internally at intervals, probably yearly. Needless to say, most people don't bother. You would soon run up the cost of a replacement cylinder.

Sponsored Links
Lexden, did you tell some porky pies when selling :?: Hope not (y)
Why do you ask that? It's not clear whether the need for annual service of the cylinder is part of the boiler warranty conditions or specific to the cylinder, but OP appears to have had both services done.

Wouldn`t like to have you as a customer. Your logic is upside down and inside out.

How about playing the ball rather than attacking the poster. My point was that what is stated on the boiler manufacturer’s website warranty page differs from what is stated in the terms and conditions. I am not suggesting that £45 plus VAT is unreasonable for a service but I am not sure that anything more than a visual check of the tunidish and a cylinder bubble recharge was carried out. The GSR engineer was in the house for less than 10 minutes. That said, he would have known that 11 months earlier one of his colleagues had replaced the PRV and changed the routing of the cold water pipework to make the installation G3 compliant.
Lexden,did you tell some porky pies when selling :?: Hope not (y)

Far from it. I have had all the required servicings carried out on time and provided the appropriate documents to my buyer's solicitor. That said, having looked again at the manufacturer's website, I can see that the warranty wording is somewhat ambiguous in that I now suspect that it is designed to cover both a boiler and an unvented cylinder installed at the same time; the boiler and unvented cylinder service requirements may well be separate. It follows that I may have wasted £54 but at least I can walk away knowing that as far as the heating and hot water side of things are concerned, there are no skeletons left in the cupboard.

That said, I am still left with a problem in that my new home has a new boiler and unvented cylinder: the latter has a very clear label on it stating that it requires an annual service.

Why do you ask that? It's not clear whether the need for annual service of the cylinder is part of the boiler warranty conditions or specific to the cylinder, but OP appears to have had both services done.
During property sales, warranty's and grantees :idea: can be disclosed on the law society form ta6,a familiar legal vendor submitted form in England.

How the legal folks ££ decide to question the ta6 is another issue and it can be costly,just because a there is a warranty issued often supplied FREE with strict conditions from one of the heating/hot water product providers does not mean its transferable.

Ta6 iirc its question 5 is really not about heating/hot water. Buying a property now,why do vendors tell lies.

During property sales, warranty's and grantees :idea: can be disclosed on the law society form ta6,a familiar legal vendor submitted form in England.

How the legal folks ££ decide to question the ta6 is another issue and it can be costly,just because a there is a warranty issued often supplied FREE with strict conditions from one of the heating/hot water product providers does not mean its transferable.

Ta6 iirc its question 5 is really not about heating/hot water. Buying a property now,why do vendors tell lies.

Transferability: the manufacturer of my boiler has confirmed in writing that the warranty is on the boiler and not limited to any particular homeowner. I have passed that on to the buyer’s solicitor in good faith. Answering questions about the boiler etc was easy. You should have seen the page of questions about PV solar!

Only people to gain are the legal rep's,some are actually solicitors ;)

That said, I am still left with a problem in that my new home has a new boiler and unvented cylinder: the latter has a very clear label on it stating that it requires an annual service.
As far as I'm aware, all unvented cylinders require an annual service, both to ensure safe operation and also to maintain their warranty

How do you know?

Tundish didn't discharge on water demand I'd guess, on a megaflo I'm not sure what else would determine it.

imho an unvented service will almost never involve much more than a twist of a tprv and possibly recharging the external expansion if needed but Id do both these on a boiler service.

In your post it sounds like the boiler manufacturers want you to service the uvhw cylinder for the boiler warranty?, not heard this and would probably argue they should mind their own business if they do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back