Extending 3 core flex

Further to Westie's statement that the connecter may only be rated at 10A, I would like to point out that 10A is the rating of the IEC C13/14/15/16 sockets/plugs. It is astounding how often this is overlooked (ignored?) and 13A fuses fitted in the BS1363 plug! Even with 0.75mm²/1.00mm² cable, which is rated at no more than 6A/10A!
That's all true, but I suspect that, rightly or wrongly, many people exercise some pragmatism/ discretion.

For example, how do you interpret, say, a '10A rating' of a connector - do you take it to mean that it should never be asked to carry more than 10A, or do you think it means that it's OK provided it's protected by a 10A fuse?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I work to the maxim that (for IEC cables) the fuse installed reflects
1. The maximum capacity of the flexible cable
2. The rated capacity of the female connector on the end of the cable.

Thus, anything with a C13/C15 connector wired with 0.75mm² cable would normally have a 5A fuse, uprated to 7A if inrush currents demand. If the cable is 1.0mm² then a 10A fuse is indicated. 13A would only be used where inrush caused problems. Finally, C5/C7 invariably would have 3A fuses in the plug. (I have removed 10A fuses from C5 cables supplied by some very well known PC/laptop manufacturers!)

OK, perhaps I am being over-cautious, but as you all know, arze-covering is the name of the game these days, and FFS how much does a fuse cost? Helluva lot less than a fire!

Sponsored Links
I work to the maxim that (for IEC cables) the fuse installed reflects
1. The maximum capacity of the flexible cable
2. The rated capacity of the female connector on the end of the cable.
Thus, anything with a C13/C15 connector wired with 0.75mm² cable would normally have a 5A fuse, uprated to 7A if inrush currents demand. If the cable is 1.0mm² then a 10A fuse is indicated. 13A would only be used where inrush caused problems. ... OK, perhaps I am being over-cautious, but as you all know, arze-covering is the name of the game these days, and FFS how much does a fuse cost? Helluva lot less than a fire!
Fair enough - but you are perhaps not being as over-cautious as you might. As I was implying in the question I asked you, a 10A fuse will allow a lot more than 10A to flow for quite an appreciable time - so if the rated capacity of the connector on the end of the cable is 10A, and you want to be ultra-cautious, then ..... :)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back