Extending 3 core flex

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone suggest the correct way to extend a three core flex without having to dismantle the appliance. I need to do this on a gas hob (for the ignition) and the socket I need to reach is just too far away. I have considered the flex connector box but am I correct in thinking this would not be suitable in a kitchen?
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I see nothing wrong with any box which has some method of retaining the cable although if not assessable then should be maintenance free however flex should be visible anyway although that is really just to ensure free air for cooling and where you are using it that would not matter the current is so low.

I would use something like this
R5392219-01.jpg
and I would not worry that it uses screws not maintenance free spring connectors it will allow easy removal for maintenance as well.

Can anyone suggest the correct way to extend a three core flex without having to dismantle the appliance.
Would a lot of dismantling be needed to do the optimum thing which is to replace the flex with a longer one?

I have considered the flex connector box but am I correct in thinking this would not be suitable in a kitchen?
Do you mean something like this?:

BG458.JPG

It would be fine.

If you want a plug/socket arrangement, this sort of thing would probably be easier to find than a rewirable IEC 60320-1 C13/C14 pair as suggested by Eric.

9415W.jpg

If you do use any sort of coupler, FGS get the male/female use the right way round ;)

I would prefer to see a fixed connector like the
BG458.JPG

Using a plug and socket means that some thicko in the future might unplug the hob at the joint and leave the trailing unshuttered socket live on the floor ...

Sponsored Links
But make sure that whatever you do use is rated for the load of the appliance, a lot of connectors are only rated at 10A

Would that be the same sort of thicko who might unplug a kettle and leave the trailing unshuttered "socket" lying on the worktop?

But make sure that whatever you do use is rated for the load of the appliance, a lot of connectors are only rated at 10A
I rather doubt that the ignitor of a gas hob would need more than 10A :)
Edit: I must go on that fast typing course!

Kind Regards, John

Gents I realised that after I read the Op again.
then though to leave it in as someone who wished to extend a flex to a larger load may make the same mistake so I thought I would cover all bases.

Well that's my story and I am sticking to it :D

Gents I realised that after I read the Op again.
then though to leave it in as someone who wished to extend a flex to a larger load may make the same mistake so I thought I would cover all bases.

Well that's my story and I am sticking to it :D

Well it's funny you should say that because I may have to do the same thing for my slim line dishwasher too. Is there a higher amp rating available for this?

Thanks for the replies by the way people.

Further to Westie's statement that the connecter may only be rated at 10A, I would like to point out that 10A is the rating of the IEC C13/14/15/16 sockets/plugs. It is astounding how often this is overlooked (ignored?) and 13A fuses fitted in the BS1363 plug! Even with 0.75mm²/1.00mm² cable, which is rated at no more than 6A/10A!

Further to Westie's statement that the connecter may only be rated at 10A, I would like to point out that 10A is the rating of the IEC C13/14/15/16 sockets/plugs. It is astounding how often this is overlooked (ignored?) and 13A fuses fitted in the BS1363 plug! Even with 0.75mm²/1.00mm² cable, which is rated at no more than 6A/10A!

This is acceptable. Please read BS1363-1.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back