Extending 6mm cooker cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need to extend existing circuit because cooker switch will be moving. I will be adding about 2m of cable. Can I use a cooker outlet plate to extend the circuit and make this accessible in a base cabinet?

Sponsored Links
You can use a cooker outlet plate if you wish, the plate must be easily accessible for maintenance, inspection and testing.
If the circuit is rated at equal or less than 32A, you could use a blanking plate with correctly rated connection strips in.

If the extended cable/circuit will then have buried cable within walls or floors, there are a number of requirements and regulations to follow.
*Cable must be installed in permitted safe zones if buried less than 50mm within wall or be mechanically protected.
*If cable is buried less than 50mm within wall 30mA RCD protection is also required.
*If a socket outlet is being installed then 30mA RCD is required regardless of method of cable route.
*Chases in solid walls can be no greater than 1/6th of walls thickness (leaf/skin) on the horizontal and 1/3rd on the vertical.
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:installation_techniques
wall chases part A

Thank you. I thougt it would be ok to extend using an appropriate rated connection unit, but as there will be a new (approx 2m) run to the new cooker switch location and then another 2m from the cooker switch to the new cooker connection plate, I was just a bit concerned about the 3m rule (is there actually a 3m rule?).

3m rule regarding what?
It is recommended that the cooker isolation/control switch is within 2 metres of appliance but not directly above it. (but That would suggest the hob was installed in that location also)

Sponsored Links
The 3 meter rule is where there is a change in the current carrying capacity. So for example if you were also powering an oven from same supply as hob with 2.5 mm sq cable the 2.5 mm cable would be limited to 3 meters before it was terminated in the fuse connection unit. But if you supplied it with same as supplied isolator then no 3 meter rule. (433.2.2 and 434.2.1 in regulations)

If the circuit is rated at equal or less than 32A, you could use a blanking plate with correctly rated connection strips in.
As a matter of interest, why do you indicate a 32A 'limit'? What would be wrong with a 60A connector strip behind a blanking plate?

Kind Regards, John

There is nothing wrong in using a 45amp, 50amp or 60amp connector block, provided the supply fuse rating is less than or equal to that of the connector block.

There is nothing wrong in using a 45amp, 50amp or 60amp connector block, provided the supply fuse rating is less than or equal to that of the connector block.
I know - that's why I asked PBoD what his 32A 'limit' was all about :)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back