Extending a 4 socket gangway plug cable.

1975? Wow 10 years after UK, doesn't seem to make sense.

Sponsored Links
I have not heard of such a course, although it may exist.
The courses certainly exist. For example, if you (click here) you will find a 3-hour "Plug Top Replacement Course" that one can undertake ("Australia-wide") for $180 + GST.

From reading around,it seems that laws about DIY electrical work in Australia vary between States, and that at least in some States it is illegal to change a plug unless one is a 'licensed electrician'. I'm not sure to what extent it becomes legal (without being a licensed electrician) if one has undertaken a course such as the above, but the linked page says:
Plugs and extension sockets may be replaced by a non-electrically qualified person, provided the person has been trained, assessed and found to be competent to fit plugs and sockets according to the manufacturers instructions.
... which suggests that such might be the case, at least in some States.

Did you have a colour TV in 1965?
One of my junior school friends father worked for one of the tv rental companies, like Radio Rentals. I went round to his house in the middle of the night in the winter to see the second colour test card transmission which would have been winter 1965/66, my last year at junior school.
I started high school 1966 in a brand new building equiped with a 90 seat lecture theatre and colour TV IIRC the first programme was wimbledon, which I assume would have been summer of 1967 for which we had hundreds crammed into the lecture theatre to see the hideous purple shorts & skirts.

Sponsored Links
Did you have a colour TV in 1965?
I certainly didn't, but our then next-door-neighbour (who drove a Bentley) did around then.

I bought my first colour TV, together with my first (Betamax) VCR and my first (B&W) video camera, as a 'package' in late 1980. I know that because I bought them whilst my wife and newborn first daughter were in hospital, the latter two of the items being bought in order to record our daughter's earliest days!

Kind Regards, John

I certainly didn't, but our then next-door-neighbour (who drove a Bentley) did around then.

I bought my first colour TV, together with my first (Betamax) VCR and my first (B&W) video camera, as a 'package' in late 1980. I know that because I bought them whilst my wife and newborn first daughter were in hospital, the latter two of the items being bought in order to record our daughter's earliest days!

Kind Regards, John
I am 54. We weren't rich but we had a colour telly in the mid 70's. From memory, it was a phillips that had the clunker (noise) remote control (it would only scroll through the channels).

From memory, in the early 80's, my stepfather purchased a V2000 video recorder- needless to say, when corner shops started to rent tapes, we didn't bother to hire any.

I am 54. We weren't rich but we had a colour telly in the mid 70's.
I'm a fair bit older than you (got married when you were a toddler!) ,but, like you, we certainly weren't rich.

When we got married, in 1973, for a good few months we didn't have a TV of any sort, until (at some point in late 1973 or 1974) my grandfather gave us a colour TV he had 'discarded' because it had become a 'colour TV' which by then only displayed shades of green and blue :) However, we stuck with that (plus a B&W portable) until, as I reported, I first bought a colour TV myself in December 1980.
From memory, it was a phillips that had the clunker (noise) remote control (it would only scroll through the channels).
I don't think my grandfather's one was 'new-fangled' enough to have a remote!

Kind Regards, John

Yes the first colour TVs were very expensive and I mean very. The colour was not best colour back then but did open up a new dimension.
One of our gang lived in a very large house (by our standards) and had a business attached - a nursery (Flowers not babys) we all used to go to his house to watch his big colour telly, compare the price to a weeks wage and you`re talking not one but several.

A little later a friend of the family worked for a TV rental firm, he permanently lent us his spare spare (or was it his spare spare spare?) anyway we had a colour TV but might have to give it back or change the model with say 24hrs notice, it did get changed a couple of times.

Our gang often came in just to watch the telly and were astounded - I even watched church services just because of the colours and the gold ornaments, wow (Me, church? that was astounding in itself but the richness of the pictures drew me as fantastic.
One of our gang, the "snob" got his face out of joint over us not him having a colour telly, then he got BBC (we used to reckon he just got the ariel but not the actual channel, so he could show off) he went on about BBC2 this that and tother on his black and white telly, it was pretty obvious he was envious because of his BBC2 remarks when our Colour TV was mentioned.
One day he could not contain himself and when someone mentioned our colour telly he announced "Well, personally, I prefer Black and White!" .
Yes right, they all saw thru him.
He liked to get his own way, years later he was married into a Jewellers family, I was told he became a Wife-Beater.
I don`t know if he is around anymore or even if he is anywhere anymore.

Lol sadly after opening it I discovered it was infact welded and I don't have the confidence (or brave enough) to weld it.
Getting back to the "topic" for the OP !

I have had another thought.

If reoreborn does not wish to remove the welded connections (and solder to the "strips"),
it would be possible to
cut the existing welded conductors to about 30 mm,
strip 12 mm of insulation from them and the new conductors,
twist the 12 mm stripped sections together,
solder them together
and
cover the soldered joints with "shrink-wrap" tubing (previously slipped over the new conductors).

On the other hand: -
Television "service" in Australia officially commenced on 27 October 1956 - just prior to the Melbourne Olympic Games.
Test transmissions had taken place in the previous months.
This was monochrome, 625 Lines, 25 "Frames per Second", Negative Modulation.

However, don't laugh!

The world first "public" TV service began in Berlin (Germany) on 22 March 1935, broadcasting for 90 minutes three times a week.
(Prior to the Berlin Olympic Games of 1936.)
It was home to the first regular television service in the world, named Fernsehsender Paul Nipkow.
(It used a 305 Line, 25 Frames per Second, Positive Modulation TV standard.)

While it was "Public", there were very few places where it could be "viewed" on the quite expensive TV receivers of the day.
A similar "service" was set up - using the same "Standard" - in Paris, after its occupation during WWII and this continued up to "Liberation".
(I kid you not.)

The BBC commenced "public" TV service in 1936, a year after Germany. (using 405 Line, 25 Frames per Second - Positive Modulation)
and this remained in operation
(with a small interruption due to WWII)
until 1985 !!!

In 1962, BBC2 launched - in the higher definition 625-line format (Negative Modulation) - 6 years after Australia.
As the 625 line TV was broadcast on UHF frequencies and with a different format, owners of 405 line TVs were unable to receive it.
Simultaneously, BBC TV rebranded to BBC1

In 1967, colour transmissions begin on BBC2 using the PAL (625-Line) format. 5 years later than the monochrome transmissions.
Australia introduced colour TV on 1 March 1975 - 8 years after BBC 2.

Getting back to the BBC TV transmissions - suspended during WWII.
It was "discovered" that German bombers were being directed to their targets in the UK by radio transmissions which operated "very close" to the frequency previously used for BBC TV, from Alexandria Palace.
That "powerful" TV transmitter was then "tweaked" to send "jamming" signals, which assisted in the defense of the UK.

Very interesting Frodo, thanks.
Yes I well remember 405 lines being the norm then 625 being the better "new kid on the block".
Hard to think that when I was young it was just BBC and then ITV, then BBC2 ands its sleek ariel came in then much later channel 4, nowadays we have millions of "stations" bit still manage to churn out loadsa rubbish on a lot of them.
I do not mind the repeats of good programmes or popular ones but I never saw many repeats of "The Burke Special" I loved that prog, although repeats of Del boy and Trigger I do welcome and it is good to see some oldie repeats and see how our perceptions of them might have now changed.
Mr Baird sure started a revolution, what the heck did we ever do without TV (well actually we talked to each other more and sometimes more civilly ).
It`s getting more and more difficult to avoid seeing (and running over with your car) those "Smart Phone Zombies".

If it were possible to get that bloke in his blue box to transport Mr Baird to today for a look then I wonder how he would feel about what he would see?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back