Extending a 4 socket gangway plug cable.

And... AND it means you will have another 4way available.
Yeah I am thinking about it tbh. I'm being tight and trying to recycle one of my 7 spare gang plugs but at the same time obviously be safe. Our house we've just moved into has basically one plug in each room and my gangways are all 1-2meters. We literally have 0 savings so we're just trying to reuse what we already have until we can pay to get new plugs put in. Around the room. :)

Sponsored Links
Lol sadly after opening it I discovered it was infact welded and I don't have the confidence (or brave enough) to weld it.
I explained (in some detail) in Post #10
how you can break or cut-off welded connections,
connect the wires by soldering
and
the precautions to take.

It is not difficult, if you take those precautions.

and
the precautions to take.

It is not difficult, if you take those precautions.
And I appreciate it. But I honestly still don't feel confident in doing it. I have tried soldering before but it's never gone well lol thank you though.

And I appreciate it. But I honestly still don't feel confident in doing it. I have tried soldering before but it's never gone well lol thank you though.
"Each man should know his limitations" Clint Eastwood as dirty Harry? You seem to have evoked that ethos, well done to you. I`s OK to DIY and it`s OK to leave it if you do not feel competent. Many people do things outside their particular competence and can cause danger , Cars, Electrics, Buildings, all sorts of things. I have seen many dubious things done by people doing electrics, some of them downright dangerous, sometimes they are electricians or claim to be. It is the knowing of your limitations that is the most important thing, there is no shame in not knowing how to safely tackle a task, there is plenty wrong with not knowing that you do not know. In all things in all walks of life, not just electrics. So once again, well done you, you are being a responsible person.

Sponsored Links
keep the Molded Plug on the Leads.
I've notices that while moulded plugs are now common on appliances sold in the UK, nearly every extension lead sold in the UK seems to come with a rewirable plug and that re-wirable plugs in the UK are both readilly available and very affordable.

Whereas in other countries I've got the impression that rewirable plugs are seen as unusual and relalatively hard to find/expensive.

Commonly available here for two or three euros.
Whereas in other countries I've got the impression that rewirable plugs are seen as unusual and relalatively hard to find/expensive.
I got some Ozzy ones in Oz a few years back

and
the precautions to take.

Tack soldering is not sufficient. Cables need to be mechanically retained in place first, before then being soldered.

In continental Europe even larger supermarkets are likely to stock rewirable plugs. The US and Canada seem to be different, all the rewirable plugs I‘ve seen there looked very industrial, even unfinished and very few people actually seem to use them.

I got some Ozzy ones in Oz a few years back
One would not expect them to be particularly widely available in Australia - isn't it the case that one has to 'go on a course' (albeit I think only a half-day one) there before being allowed, in law, to fit a plug? (we have an expert in this thread who will undoubtedly be able to confirm or refute!).

Kind Regards, John

In didn`t have much trouble finding them at the time (about 8 years ago I think) , not every shop sold them to the extent they do here but certain shops did, I concluded that replacing a plug on a flex was probably not uncommon rather like it is here but not as common as it is here (If that does not make sense then "fogive me" as Boris said, not totally uncommon but not as prevalent as it is here). I suspect they tended to leave it more to the experts (the bona fide electricians) and I`d say that, to me, they were more difficult to wire decently for a few reasons, chief one being leaving the E (Ok G for Ground then) a longer conductor for "pull out" reasons. I think our plugs are better but bulkier.

No I did not like the Ozzy design of plugs but that might be partly due to the devil you know sort of syndrome , anyway ours are much easier to drop on the floor and stand on with your bare foot, with pins uppermost, ouch!. ;)

Tack soldering is not sufficient. Cables need to be mechanically retained in place first, before then being soldered.
While that is true, in most cases, in this "application" the cord will be held by a clamp at the entry point and the surface area available on the "Strips" is relatively large for more than just a small "blob" of solder.

Also, I have found (at least, in the Australian devices) that there are holes in the "strips" which are more than large enough for wires to be "hooked" and then soldered. These brass "strips" take solder quite easily.)
If there is not a hole at the end of a "strip", it can be drilled.

The photo below shows an unmodified Australian Power Strip - opened up.
While the holes in only the Earth "strip" can be seen, there are similar holes in the Line and Neutral "strips".
The cable clamp can be seen on the right and below it is a 10 A resettable Circuit Breaker.
This circuit breaker (now required) is because 10 A is the maximum which can be drawn from aa "normal" Australian Socket-Outlet,
although compatible 15 A, 20 A 25 A and 32 A outlets are available.
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AS/NZS_3112 )

Power Strip = Open.jpg

A blob of solder at the end like some might do would not be right good -I sometimes cringe when I see some u tube vids of folk soldering components - (OK they "might" be ok for a quick lash up to test an electronics circuit quick test but not a proper job).
However, if someone competent in soldering does a small band whilst allowing for both electrical and mechanical stress it could be ok I would suggest.

One would not expect them to be particularly widely available in Australia - isn't it the case that one has to 'go on a course' (albeit I think only a half-day one) there before being allowed, in law, to fit a plug? (we have an expert in this thread who will undoubtedly be able to confirm or refute!).

Kind Regards, John
You would be surprised!
(See https://www.bunnings.com.au/search/products?page=1&q=10+amp+plug&sort=BoostOrder )

I have not heard of such a course, although it may exist.
In the days of Colour TV Using Cathode Ray tubes, the Queensland Government tried to enact legislation/regulations which would have prevented TV Servicemen, who were working on TVs with up to 30 kV supplies for the Picture Tubes, from fitting a new 240 V 3-Pin Plug. - because they were not "Licensed Electricians"!!!!

In Australia, only "Qualified Persons" are allowed to work on Electrical "installations".
However, in New Zealand (with the same set of Wiring Rules (AS?NZS 3000), "Homeowners" are allowed to carry out certain work on their own premises.
(These "installations" are supposed to be checked by an "Inspector" but, who knows.)
In fact, the NZ Government issues a document telling people how to do the things which they are allowed to do
and
how to do it

This document seems to have become a little bit more difficult find
but
if you search on "NEW ZEALAND ELECTRICAL CODE OF PRACTICE FOR HOMEOWNER/OCCUPIER’S ELECTRICAL WIRING WORK IN DOMESTIC INSTALLATIONS" you can download it.

In Australia, all the equipment that one needs to carry out electrical "work" is freely available at "Hardware Stores", Electrical "Suppliers" and by Mail Order .
In the case of the latter two (usually) "No Questions Asked"
https://www.bunnings.com.au/search/products?page=1&q=electrical+cables&sort=BoostOrder
https://www.bunnings.com.au/search/products?page=1&q=electrical+wall+socket&sort=BoostOrder

(Hardware stores do have notices stating "These products nest be installed by a Licensed Electrician" - which probably covers their "responsibility".)

A point to note is that "Clipsal" (Now a Schneider company) does not allow its products to be sold at "Hardware Stores" - only at "Electrical Suppliers".
Possibly because of this, Bunnings sells DETA products, which are virtual copies of Clipsal products and actual "electricians" do not buy these DETA products - because they obtain genuine Clipsal products cheaper on their "accounts" at their Electrical Supplier.
Hence, if an Australian has any DETA product installed, it is virtually certain that the job was not done by a "Licensed Electrician".

Hardware Stores and Electrical Retailers can sell to anybody because, to prevent them from doing so, would be a "Restriction of Trade" and illegal.

Because of the above, Australia is in the worst possible world when it comes to Electrical Installations and repairs.
(The same applies to Plumbing.)
While all materials are freely available, only Qualified Persons are "allowed" to carry out such "work".
If a "Homeowner" (or his mate) carries out such "work", there is no legal way for it to be "inspected".
Yet, all of these products are being sold daily!

In spite of the above, there seems to be few problems with the "work" done in this country "under the lap".
(However, my Electrician Son does sometimes tell me of the "poor installations" which he has encountered.)

For some "background" on myself.
My Father was an Electrician (as was my Grandfather)
and
my Son is an Electrician (and to him I refer any Questions which I have.)

I became a "Communications Technician" and went on to using/programming computers (1959) and working with Telephone Company (PMG,/Telstra) "Statistics".
Spare time activities/hobbies were "electronics" and - in the days of monochrome TVs - repairing "duds" and reselling them !
Gave that up when Colour TV came along. Just maintained my own and that of my in-laws.

With regard to Colour TV in Australia, you might be amused to see how the ABC introduced Colour TV to Australia,
from Midnight on 1 March 1975.

Actually, the ABC "cheated" the Government regulations as to the time that Colour TV would "start" in Australia in that the colour started to "leak" about 30 seconds before midnight and it was in "Full Colour" at midnight.

Last edited:
Yes I remember some friends of ours went to Oz and were amazed the did not have colour TV yet, the ozzies were gobbsmacked it existed.

Yes They emigrated on a cruise ship, assisted passage and they got all the perks that full paying passengers got, nice holiday to start them off.
They said the Ozzies were much in non belief that Colour TV was readily available in the UK for years before they got it.

OK the colours were not perfick back in those days and many people could not afford them, but we had them for quite a time before.

Even now their IT network, well interweb and mobile phones are more patchy and unreliable than ours and very expensive in comparison, Thatcher did us some good I admit, despite nearly everything else about her.

PS I think Oz is a great country all all geared up for outdoors, Has a lot going for it, and so many of the folks there are really nice folks too, not as many nutters as we have here.
It`s Pros and Cons I know but it is an amazing place.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back