Extending a circuit.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my bedroom I have only two single sockets on opposite sides of the room and I would like to add at least one more socket but don't where to run the wires, the wires appear to run under the floor which I can't get to as it has been laminated.

Currently I have the skirting boards off the wall as I'm wallpapering the room, so was wondering is it possible to run wires behind skirting boards or is this a bad idea? I'm a complete beginner but I like to at least try my DIY jobs myself before getting someone in.

I've created a diagram (on my profile) to better describe what I mean. Also ideally I would like to put a socket inside a built in cupboard to power a TV that I would like to mount above the fireplace.

My original thoughts on this was to run wires behind the skirting boards but what would I do to get around the fireplace?

Any comments appreciated, thanks :D

Sponsored Links
If you are not willing to lift floorboards your optioned are limited.
You can chase in to wall and run vertical or horizontal of the socket outlets (safe zones) unless you either protect the cable mechanically or bury cable 50mm in to wall but you must also comply to the building regulations of depth of chase to block/brick depth. No more than 1/3 on the vertical and 1/6 on the horizontal.
Other options are run along top of skirting in trunking.

So if I was to chase it into the wall do you have any siggestions for getting around the fireplace? Thanks, for answering.

Sponsored Links
Up from socket to within 150mm of ceiling, then chase around the chimney breast keeping cable within the 150mm horizontal band of wall and ceiling angle, then once directly over where the second socket is to be added, straight down. As permitted safe zones.
Also you will require RCD protection, if this is not already offered to circuit.

Hmmm okay I think after much deliberation I'll give this DIY task a miss, didn't want a TV in the bedroom anyway haha thanks for your help and the details you gave, if i was to do this I'd have to ruin my new wallpapering so extension leads it is!

The reason you are not permitted to run wires behind a skirting board is in the future someone may damage them as they don't know they exist.

However if the skirting board is a special type designed to take cables then of course anyone looking at it will realise that there are cables inside the skirting board. See here not cheap but you asked how you can do it and stay within the rules.
UNI_sls50170.jpg

That is a good suggestion however I still wouldn't be able to get around the fireplace plus it would look a bit ugly in a 200 year old house but I appreciate the comment :D

So if I was to chase it into the wall do you have any siggestions for getting around the fireplace? Thanks, for answering.

If you have access to the floor above then chase up the wall to the ceiling void, lift the floor above and run cables through the ceiling above and drop down again.

That might actually be an option Sherbertlion, as I haven't papered around that socket yet and the room above the main bedroom would give good access to do this, thanks I never would have thought of that :D

Why do so many people never think about changes needed to things buried in walls and under floors until after they have done decorative things to the walls and floors which they will not or cannot undo?

OK what about not hiding the cable and using a cable which looks nice. A cable like this
Mineral_Insulated_Copper_Clad_Cable.jpg
will look like a copper pipe is quite small and as long as not hidden is permitted but it's NOT a DIY job to fit mineral insulated cables.
There are other cables other than twin and earth somewhere between mineral insulated and twin and earth like Ali-tube these are normally round and plastic covered. The type shown I have seen used in many old houses even removing a small amount of mortar in the exposed stone work and hiding behind the mortar between the stones.
It will cost and likely you will need to pay LABC their fee as it's not a cable normally used in domestic.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back