Extending a ring circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to add 2 sockets in my kitchen. There is one existing socket in the immediate vicinity (in the central heating housing).
Bearing in mind the one socket/fixed appliance rule for spurs, I wondered if I could get around this by extending the circuit. I would disconnect one cable from the existing socket and join it to one end of a new loop either by soldering/crimping or by a junction box to allow inspection of the connection. The new cable would then feed the 2 new sockets, with the free end returning to the existing socket.
If I have uploaded it correctly, a wiring diagram is attached.

Sponsored Links
If you need to ask this sort of question I doubt that your electrical knowledge extends to the associated law which states that beforbefore you undertake such work you must notify your local Council Building Control Dept who will arrange appropriate inspection and testing of teh work you have undertaken.

Alternatively and often cheaper with some LABC fees use a competent electrician who is Part P registered - see www.competentperson.co.uk

Bearing in mind the one socket/fixed appliance rule for spurs, I wondered if I could get around this by extending the circuit.
If you are certain the existing socket is part of a ring then yes.

I would disconnect one cable from the existing socket
Good start

and join it to one end of a new loop either by soldering/crimping or by a junction box to allow inspection of the connection.
If you mean connect some new 2.5mm twin and earth to the disconnected cable you can do that. However if you are inexperienced with soldering/crimping it might be better to make this join by introducing another socket or use an accessible 30Amp junction box.

The new cable would then feed the 2 new sockets, with the free end returning to the existing socket.
If you mean take new 2.5mm twin and earth from the final new socket back to the existing socket, then yes.

Read the link below and ensure you understand how ring circuits work. Do not attempt this work unless you fully understand what you are doing.
http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/ring_main.htm

As stated above you should also be familiar with Part P: legislation from Hell

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back