extending a ring main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to extend a ring main, how many sockets can i have on one ring, it has a 15A fuse.

Sponsored Links
its unlikely its a ring with a 15a fuse

try a search on these forums

hey our house had rings on 15A rewirable fuses for 10 years or so (dad rewired the place but left the old CU in place with the same fuses it had before)

we never really had any trouble with this setup i think the kitchen fuse blew once every few years but it wasn't something you couldn't live with.

As many as you like, limited by nuiscence tripping, but there is a floor area limit (25 square m for 15A and 100square m for 32A breaker), and a voltage drop length limit of agout 75m for 2.5mm cable.

Sponsored Links
plugwash said:
hey our house had rings on 15A rewirable fuses for 10 years or so (dad rewired the place but left the old CU in place with the same fuses it had before)

what breezer probably meant by what he said:
its unlikely its a properly designed ring with a 15a fuse...

Why rewire a house and not replace the CU, and not even uprate the fuses from the old radials? Why introduce the potential pitfalls of rings without taking up one of the major advantages?

i think dad was following a diy book on wiring that didn't mention any options other than rings for socket cuircuits but didn't want to replace the CU (a 6 way bakalite wylex standard fitted with 2 5 amp rewirable fuses and 4 15 amp rewirable fuses) and either didn't know where to get higher rated fuse carriers or didn't know if they were suitable.

the CU was replaced later with a modern split load when we had an extention built a few years ago. The electrician fixed a few technical issues like lack of red sleeving on switched lives and a loft socket on the immersion cuircuit. but i don't think there were any really serious issues.

the old wiring was apparently really poor (i was too young at the time to remember anything of it) I think it was a mixture of lead and paper and VIR cable with switches that gave shocks and sparks. It pretty much had to be rewired.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back