Extending an extension - PP or PD?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Looking for some advice please in regards to some proposed work I'm looking to undertake which will effectively be extending an extension.

The house when I purchased it already had a rear extension measuring 2.5m by 5m, it also has a conservatory which is 2.5 by 3.5m. (See attached floor plan)

What I'm looking to do is remove the conservatory and build along the same footprint out to the existing rear wall to create a new kitchen/utility space and a downstairs WC.

I've had mixed messages in regards to what would be allowed under PD so am just wondering if anyone can offer any advise or suggestions regading the proposed changes.

Considering the space used by the conservatory as it currently stands, I will only adding an additional 2.5 x 1.5 of floor space.

If it makes any difference this is a mid terrace property within Birmingham city council planning area.

Thanks

Attachments

• 1024x768u (1).jpg
    1024x768u (1).jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Permitted development allows you to extend up to 3m on the rear (thats from original building line as of 1948 when planning started)

However the larger home extension scheme allows upto 6m on non detached properties, however it requires a neighbour consultation

the side / rear rules are confising, but I think what you propose is ok anyway.

You might want to do a Lawful development certificate for peace of mind.

That's an infill, so will need permission, and not the NCS either.

And if it's mid terrace, the 45° rule may apply if permission was sought.

Sponsored Links
As above, p.p.needed as you will be extending beyond an original wall forming a side elevation and your extension would be greater than one-half the width of the house.
You also breach the 3m rear-extension rule.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back