Extending boiler flue - can we do this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
We're about to have some external insulation put on part of the side of the house, and will need to extend the boiler flue horizontally.

We've been given a quote of about £200 to do this, which basically we can't afford. The bloke said parts would be about £90 alone.

Can anyone tell me whether it's possible to fit a straight flue extension (which I've found for about £30) on the outside of the house, & then refit the terminal on the end of it?

For info we have a Vaillant ecoTEC plus 824 boiler.

thanks for your help,

Louise

Sponsored Links
You have given no information on the existing flue dimensions.

The flue terminal is about 850 mm long and is normally cut shorter when installed.

If yours exits behind the boiler then all that is likely to be needed is a new terminal.

Otherwise if 850 mm is not long enough then an extension can be fitted to lengthen the existing terminal unit.

At least you have a modern boiler so all the parts are available.

Tony

Apologies for not giving dimensions, I don't know anything about this so wasn't aware that this info would be useful for my question.

Thanks for your advice. Our flue exits straight behind the boiler through an outside wall. Outside you can see the circular seal, then a short piece of straight flue duct (about 100mm) then the slanted end piece. I thought the terminal was this end piece, and that it could be separated from the flue duct that goes through the wall. I wondered whether we could take the end piece off, fit an extension outside, and replace the end piece.

Am I right in thinking that by "terminal" you mean the flue duct that goes through the wall plus the slanted piece on the end? And are you suggesting that we replace the whole piece that goes through the wall and refit it internally?

thanks,
Louise

Its all supplied as one part and should be replaced that way.

Should be done by reg engineer.

If the flue hole is not sealed as it should be then its a 10 minute job.

If it has been well cemented and plastered inside then its a pig and can take 90 minutes if redone like that ( properly! ).

Tony

Sponsored Links
Its all supplied as one part and should be replaced that way.

Should be done by reg engineer.

If the flue hole is not sealed as it should be then its a 10 minute job.

If it has been well cemented and plastered inside then its a pig and can take 90 minutes if redone like that ( properly! ).

Tony

look outside under the rubber and see if its cemented in.

If not then he is a cowboy!

That's a bit harsh Tony!
he may have Quoted off spec i.e. not following a site visit, if the job had not been seen I too would quote for 2 hours! better that way than getting there and loosing a packet! ;)

I would have quoted £96 if its not now cemented but to include cementing afterwards.

Or £158 if it is cemented.

Both quotes unseen by phone based on ground floor flues with cust having a step lader.

I believe in quoting fairly but not wasting time on unnecessary unpaid visits.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back