Extending cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As part of a kitchen re-furb some of my sockets need lowering by 4" or so. The supply comes from the ceiling so my cables will now be 4" too short! I know I can't use stndard blocks behind plasterboard without buying special enclosures and having little access doors everywhere - not really what I want, so is there an acceptable way to extend the cables before hiding them for ever behind the plasterboard?

TIA - Dave

Sponsored Links
In practical terms, although what was suggested is a good advice, I find that crimping it the most practical and it works, if the cable is concealed, you need to use shrink sleeves or any other means to protect against water, you need to consider mechanical protection for the area where the sheathing of the cable was removed.

just out of interest, why lower the sockets?

the shouldn't be too close to the counter tops toavoid spills and splashes etc..

Mom's are tight under the cupboard and do just fine there..

Sponsored Links
just out of interest, why lower the sockets?

the shouldn't be too close to the counter tops toavoid spills and splashes etc..

Mom's are tight under the cupboard and do just fine there..

Having a lowered worktop for disabled access, so sockets need to be within reach :)

are there wall cupboards? if so then you could put the box to contain the joints (easist way is probablly just a normal socket backbox covered with a blanking plate) above the wall cupboards. It won't really be noticable up there yet it will be accessible for inspection.

are there wall cupboards? if so then you could put the box to contain the joints (easist way is probablly just a normal socket backbox covered with a blanking plate) above the wall cupboards. It won't really be noticable up there yet it will be accessible for inspection.
From a DIY aspect, that sounds like a great idea.
Unfortunately, no cupboards and too many connections - can't route them all through the same box due to the rules about where hidden cables can be.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back