extending earthwire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Due to a bathroom refurb, the bonding earthwire connecting spot lights to a water pipe has to be relocated and is not long enough.
Is there any way we can extend this withou having to reach the j box in the loft and replace the whole earthwire?
The ew was installed to comply with current regs.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Or was is designed and installed to the 16th? I assume so as he's now carrying out a refurb of the bathroom which may mean relocation of pipework hence already installed supplementary bonding is too short.
I know he said it was installed to current regs, 17th being current but he may mean when it was installed it was to current regs (16th).

If it's to the 17th then maybe there was inadequate continuity between extraneous to extraneous and exposed to extraneous parts (415.2.2) meaning supplementary bonding still needed installing?

Maybe we need clarification from the OP as to the reasoning?

the rewire was done in feb to 16th edition, circuit is not on rcd.
Unfortunately the pipework has been relocated and the existing wire is not long enough.
the junction box is in the loft but i'd prefer if the wire was extended rather than me or someone having to go up in the loft to replace the wire.
Obviously circuit would be off if the j box had to be messed with so one would be relying on a torch :eek:

Without a doubt, the better job would be replacing the cable but a correctly crimped joint shouldn't cause any problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back