Extending existing garage base?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm playing with the idea of pulling down our old and distinctly knackered (flaky panels, rusting ties) sectional concrete garage and rebuilding in blockwork with a straightforward flat roof.

Ideally, I'd like to increase the width of the garage at the same time but this would require a wider base than the existing garage stands on. (I should add that the base is in considerably better condition than the garage.)

My questions then; Is extending a garage base feasible in the first place? Is it necessary to tie in an extension to the base with the existing part? How might this be done?

I've found no shortage of information on laying foundations and floor from scratch, and as far as I can tell the existing base will happily support a blockwork structure, but this has stumped me, and any advice or ideas would be welcome.

Sponsored Links
I don't think its worth tying in the new to old.

Just make sure the sub-base is well compacted, and form a proper 12mm movement joint with fibre board and a polysulphide mastic seal

If you want to tie the slabs in, you would use dowel bars about 500mm long and 15-20mm diameter, with a sleeve in the existing slab and set into the new one

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back