extending garage electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the moment i have a small consumer unit in the garage with two breakers in it: one for the lights and one for the sockets. At the moment i have a double socket on the rear wall and a fluorescent tube in the middle of the garage. the house was built in 1999 and was up to code then.

what i want to do is add another double socket above my work bench, a single socket at the small freezer an extra fluorescent tube above the work bench and a sensor floodlight on the gable end

what should i buy any advice on how to go about it

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Some questions;

Does a 30 mA RCD protect the garage supply, either in the garage or in the house?

What size MCB protects the socket circuit? (and the lighting circuit, for good measure)

Does a 30 mA RCD protect the garage supply, either in the garage or in the house? yes in the house cpc 4.mm, live 4.0 mm, fuse 30Amps is written in cu in house

What size MCB protects the socket circuit? (and the lighting circuit, for good measure) plugs cpc 1.5mm,live 2.5mm and fuse 15Amps and lights cpc1.0mm,live 1.5mm and fuse 5Amps

Sponsored Links
in the house cpc 4.mm, live 4.0 mm, fuse 30Amps ... plugs cpc 1.5mm,live 2.5mm and fuse 15Amps and lights cpc1.0mm,live 1.5mm and fuse 5Amps
Even if you don't post an answer here, please be honest with yourself. Do you actually, genuinely understand what that means?

hi

i am really only looking for ideas i would then have a friendly electrician connect it all up after i had run the wires the way he asked me to

You can simply extend from the existing socket, using 2.5mm to the next double socket and then onto the single for the fridge

Same goes for the extra light, just extend from the existing in 1.5mm. For the external light, you can take a feed from the board on the 5A fuse, through a switch if required, make the hole in the wall for the cable exit point directly behind the fitting, twin and earth cable isnt suitable to be externaly exposed

Depending on what activities you carry out on your workbench, you may wish to consider plastic conduit and metal clad sockets to protect the cables etc from impact damage etc

Your frendly electrician can discuss the part P options with you ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back