Extending Garage Wiring

Sponsored Links
No idea where CU is supplied from.

I've been lead to believe by the neighbours that all the garages on the estate are supplied from a common source and not from the House as all garages are detached from properties
Oooo free electrickery!! ;)

But also no way to reset things if he ends up using more power than the people installing this communal garage supply system thought of.

Achieving RCD protection in the garage (if the circuit is not already protected in the house) could be achieved by replacing the main switch in the garage CU with an RCD (- the usual solution, but some people might then moan about the lighting and sockets being on the same RCD), changing the B16 MCB to a B16 or B20 RCBO or by introducing a standalone RCD (an RCD FCU would not allow more than 13A) in the feed to the first of the sockets.

Kind Regards, John

Ok you guys are losing me now i'm not an electrician. I was just going to run the whole thing of an extension cable :)

Sponsored Links
No idea where CU is supplied from. I've been lead to believe by the neighbours that all the garages on the estate are supplied from a common source and not from the House as all garages are detached from properties This could be true as some peoples garage could be like 200 yards from their home on other side of road.
Interesting - who pays for the electricity, then?! Anyway, I think we'll have to assume that it's not RCD protected!
But if i can get away with i suppose changing the face of the 1st socket i suppose that works.
That suggestion was a mistake on riveralt's part, which he has now corrected. To get RCD protection, you need to do one of the three things I mentioned in my post - the 'simplest' is probably to get someone to replace the main switch in the grage CU with an RCD (despite the downside that a trip due to a fault on the sockets circuits would then also 'take out' the lighting) - but any of those three options would do.

Kind Regards, John

Ok thanks John

So the Main switch would be the red bit in the consumer box but how is that replaced with power coming in ?

No idea who pays the bill i'd hope it be the company who fleeces us for Money and does very little.

I've checked the CU in the house it has 2 RCD in it and a load of breakers all labelled but non of them read Garage so think in my mind it confirms it's a communal supply.

As it's got everything on from cooker, smoker detectors lighting etc but nothing for garage

Yes sorry about that.

As JohnW2 has said for what you want the simplest solution, though you may not think so, is to replace this:
View media item 66785with one of these:
View media item 66784The installation of the RCD is a relatively simple straight swop.
HOWEVER you will need to be able to totally isolate that Consumer Unit from the supply - and given your apparent shared garage supply you may want to pass that responsibility to an electrician.
Get him to change the MCB to 20A at the same time.

I don't recall ever having seen an RCD socket which provides an RCD-protected output for feeding further sockets, have you?
Not BS 1363 ones.

We could have ones which do what these do:

gfci-line-and-load-terminals.jpg

if we didn't have ring finals.

Ok thanks John So the Main switch would be the red bit in the consumer box but how is that replaced with power coming in ?
Indeed. As riveralt has said, that's a bit of a problem, given that you don't really know where the electricity is coming from. As he said, I'd leave an electrician to fathom that one out!
I've checked the CU in the house it has 2 RCD in it and a load of breakers all labelled but non of them read Garage so think in my mind it confirms it's a communal supply. ... As it's got everything on from cooker, smoker detectors lighting etc but nothing for garage
As you say, that seems to confirm what you think.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks John

The whole thing seems like more hassle then it's worth all i wanted to do was put a treadmill in the garage

Now i'm needing electrician what a pain

Actually, if he only wants one more socket, the simplest solution is just to add an RCD one.
Yes, I almost suggested that. However, although it's a means of achieving compliance with the regs, it seems 'silly' - if, for whatever reason, one is adding RCD protection, it would seem 'logical' to protect both of the sockets (and having a common RCD would be cheaper than changing both to RCD sockets).

However, I suppose you're right, if the OP is only concerned about compliance with regs, he could do as you suggest.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks John The whole thing seems like more hassle then it's worth all i wanted to do was put a treadmill in the garage. Now i'm needing electrician what a pain
You could theoretically do as BAS has just suggested and just add a socket as you have proposed, but use an RCD socket for the new one - the regulations do not require 'existing' sockets to be RCD protected.

However, unless 16A is enough for your requirements (and I don't think we've established that it necessarily is), you're going to have to get that B16 changed to a B20 - would you feel confident/competent enough to do that without an electrician?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back