Extending maleable iron gas pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to utilise the pipework from an old unused gas fire supply which currently sticks out of the floor up to the height of where the gas fire used to be. The pipe is apparently maleable iron and has a threaded connection on it.

Before anyone gets their knickers in a twist, I'm having this job carried out by a mate who is gas safe but mainly works on boilers and doing inspections and has never worked with this pipe.

I want to run the pipe in the concrete floor but my mate has suggested using a half threaded half compression fitting to join the existing pipe to copper but of course the compression fitting can't be buried so it would have to be proud of the floor and then run into my freshly plastered wall.

I think our other option is to buy iron pipe, but this would need to be cut and threaded and I'm not even sure if you can buy it at the plumber's merchant (job needs to be done tomorrow before kitchen arrives). Is this fairly straightforward?

I was hoping to find a threaded fitting with a copper end on it that could be soldered but this doesn't seem to exist.

Are there any other ways to bury and extend the pipe without using iron?

Cheers,

Dan

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Yep. Good old No.14 (IIRC)

The visible pipe , may be 1/4" but underfloor will be 1/2"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back