Extending My Soil Pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

I currently have a toilet in a room all of it's own next to the bathroom. I'm not sure why it was originally built like this but i want to move the toilet into the bathroom.

All i need to do is move the toilet roughly 1.5 meters from where it stands now. I've had a plumber come in and quote me just shy of a grand which i dont feel is justified.

On a scale of 1-10 i'd say im about an 8 at DIY....could i not do it myself? Please correct me if im wrong but i would have thought all i need is a length of soil pipe and the right connectors....Knock a hole through the wall into the bathroom and box the pipes over. Could you please advise on whether or not im missing something and if it's something a "DIYer" should try?

Regards,
Dazzle1980

Sponsored Links
Dazzle, if you're going to "knock" a hole through a wall anyway, why not go through an outside wall and make your connection externally; save all the boxing-in and it'll look neater. Yes, there are connectors for every situation. Instead of "knocking" the hole through the wall use a core drill (get one from the hire shop for half a day) - make a much better job with little (or no) repairs to smashed brickwork.

well i wouldn't pay £1000 fo two days work. :evil:

>Knock a hole through the wall into the bathroom and box the pipes over

use a 6 inch core drill to drill hole and make good after pipe installed looks better than just knocking a hole through wall.

1.5m is no problem to worry about.

if it's a straight hole in wall, move toilet , new water feed , join pipes make hole good , and box two days top

two days wage + parts don't even come to £500. sod him off. ;)

Sponsored Links
Hi,
Thanks for all your replies. I cant put the pipe externally unfortunately as it would go across a downstairs window and would ruin the front of the house.

The soil pipe that comes into the currently toilet is cast iron. I will get a core drill (thanks for the advice) as it sounds much easier.

Just measured the distance and it's just under 2meters. The plumber said i would need to raise the toilet about an inch higher to allow the waste to go down. Is this 100% necessary as it will cause a load of hassle?

Thanks again...this site is great!

Space cat said:
What's your soil stack made of, plastic or cast iron? Are there any other connections to it above or below?

Soil stack is cast iron. There is another connection from flat below and one from flat above but that's it....

Thanks "hi-spec plumbing heating". I'm guessing i could probably get this height over the 2meter distance without having to raise the toilet. I assume that it wont take long for me to realise if i havnt allowed enough of an angle?
Regards

Soil stack is cast iron. There is another connection from flat below and one from flat above but that's it....

That explains a lot; a cast iron pipe with two other connections that aren't yours! If I was that plumber I really wouldn't want anything to do with it.

Your best bet is to make do with the existing connection into the pipe and extend it through the internal wall as planned but ---

I'm guessing i could probably get this height over the 2meter distance without having to raise the toilet.

That's a neat trick if you can do it! Unless you have the means to bend the Earth's gravitational field, you either raise the toilet or you lower the cast iron pipe socket.

I assume that it wont take long for me to realise if i havnt allowed enough of an angle?

A spirit level will tell you very quickly. If you really don't want to put the toilet on a raised platform (minimum 36mm and I would go for 50mm) you'll have to find a new toilet with a higher outlet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back