extending parking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have an area of parking under a huge pine and my car is covered in pigeon poo. I am extending the area to a piece of grass approx. 80 sq ms. The current parking area is flat with a slope down to house steps, it currently has a layer of base tarmac (quite old but looks sound) with thin gravel layer and grass growing up on pigeon compost. The area of new parking is down the narrow slope onto the garden area which has a 10-20 degree slope in two directions it slope onto a flower bed and grass. So far I have dug down 250mm and edged with sleepers one side 250mm the other upto a metre of sleepers with kerb edging on the other side to allow access to garden.
What i intended to do:
I am down to clay in some areas, so dig trenches and put French drains round the parking area to drain off water that could be held by clay level,
Scrape gravel off upper area and slope to access new parking area leaving old tarmac (its a base not finish coating) take out soil and veg and spread gravel over new area and compact in,
Stick membrane over the top,
Put down two compacted 75mm layers of type 1 or scalpings,
Get contractors to lay base tarmac over new area and possibly a finish layer over both old and new.
Do I need the french drains? Scalpings (cheaper) or type 1? If I leave it as base tarmac will it drain ok? Any other thoughts or advice?
Sorry so long winded.
jon

Sponsored Links
A photo would help to visualize what you have described.

There is a cheaper alternative - put a big net around the pine tree :)

The first question would be, do you have a contractor who will lay tarmac over a foundation someone else has prepared?

Sponsored Links
sorry missed mattys reply, already dug out lawn and put in edging so doing it one way or another. My questions really are do I need to put drainage under base level as clay layer, will most of the water run off tarmac whether base or final layer, and are railway scalpings ok for base or type one or some other aggregate. Is it ok to put final layer over old base tarmac.
cheers jon

it is an extension of an existing drive down a slight slope further into my property, with run off onto my garden, I understood this didn't require planning?

thank you I will ask again, but does anyone have any advice on my technical questions

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back