Extending rad pipe - 10mm barrier pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Think I know the answer to this but here goes ;)

Currently refitting a bathroom and need to replace a 800mm radiator for a towel rail which has 440mm centres to the valves. Can align one side with the current location but the other side needs to move about 400mm.

Problem is it's piped in 10mm plastic pipe coming out of wall with no slack, I can't extend the pipe inside the wall as this would leave a concealed joint once tiled etc.

Are my only options to either,

A. Replace the entire run back to the manifold (Not sure where this is in the house)
B. Join a new length on with an elbow and run this to the new location for the valve which will look a bit ropey!

Only other thing I can think of is to use a small access panel such as this http://www.screwfix.com/p/access-pa...Search-_-SearchRec-_-Area1&_requestid=1165697 and join the pipe inside the wall, again not entirely aesthetically pleasing!

Cheers Guys
Steve

Sponsored Links
concealed joints in walls aren't a massive problem, its not a gas pipe.

there is only one way to get rad tails coming out of solid walls and it isnt with a radius.

Really? I thought this was a total no-no or am I getting confused with electrics! It's late and I've already had to deal with explaining to customer why the 80mm deep concealed shower valve can't be fitted in a 70mm wall cavity without building the wall out a bit!

If I can just join it in the cavity that's great, would just be concerned about it leaking at some point though?

Cheers Again.

Sponsored Links
wont be much different to a leak under a floor, behind a joist, under a bath, loft etc..

chances are it will be less likely to leak, since it cant be bashed or fooked around with.

Cheers, certainly makes tomorrow a bit easier!

As for complete plastic installs yeah I guess it's obvious when I think about it, although I would expect you could run 10mm plastic from the manifold to the rad without any joints under the floor etc - suppose even this would leave a good few joints under the floor at the manifold!

I tend not to worry about joints that were there previously and worry too much about new ones I've added!

Thanks for the help though everyone, much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back