Extending Ring Circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello guys

Just checking to clarify some points.

I have a wall between a two rooms. That wall is hollow and without insulation. I checked.
I plan to extend a ground floor ring circuit by adding two double sockets on the ring and one spur at the end of those.

The total run in the cavity is no more than 10 feet. I figure it would be much neater to run the cable in the cavity, rather than use trunking on the wall.

I will appreciate all advice with many thanks.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
I have a wall between a two rooms.
Wouldn't be two rooms without it. :)

That wall is hollow and without insulation. I checked.
Do you mean two leafs of brick or a stud wall ?

I plan to extend a ground floor ring circuit by adding two double sockets on the ring and one spur at the end of those.
The total run in the cavity is no more than 10 feet. I figure it would be much neater to run the cable in the cavity, rather than use trunking on the wall.
It is generally frowned upon nowadays to run cables in the brick cavity.
Damage, rodents and insulation fitters who don't care.
Trunking is not the only other option; you can chase the wall and bury the cable.

In a stud wall is fine.

OK to extend a ring final first job is find out the loop impedance. Then work out what it will likely be once extra cable is added. Then work out if still within limits.
You also need to look at RCD protection if not in the consumer unit the job is a non starter. Could add next to consumer unit but that's a bit messy.
Once you have all the reading then and only then can you consider if spurs, or extending ring final in the best move.
Until tested you don't even know it is a ring final to start with.
Yes I would extend the ring final if I could, but your jumping the gun, test first then decide.

Thanks for your responses. I should have made myself clearer.
The consumer unit is on one side of the entrance hall. The cables run in the ceiling void and come down on the other side of the entrance hall. Now, that wall is hollow. Each leaf of that wall (the material looks similar to roof tiles) including plaster, is may be two inches. It is not the normal 4 inch blocks.The void between those two leaves is probably more than 3 inches and (the void) continue to ceiling height.

The socket I would use to to continue the ring from has two 2.5 mm cables and it stops (coming down from the ceiling) at 30 inches above floor level. So, it must be part of the ring, because other ground floor walls/sockets have a similar layout. I hope this is clearer now.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
I can't tell from your description if the cables you install will be in an acceptable zone.

[wiki]electrics%3Awalls[/wiki]

Is the circuit RCD protected?

And do you know that you'll be able to fish cables down inside the wall? No noggins in the way?

Thanks to all.

I have decided to run in trunking 25x16.

RCD Ok

If that "roof tile" material you describe is Salamander, it is notoriously difficult to work with. It is thin, hollow and very difficult to get a fixing to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back