extending ring final conduit in wall...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok so i want to extend the ring final. The new socket will be about 2 metres away form the one i will extend it off. I am going to hire a wall chaser to track the wall to put the conduit in.

Is it ok to use PVC conduit as his CU is just fuses or does it have to be steel conduit?

Sponsored Links
If you have to hire a chaser for such a short distance, then I very much doubt that you have the proper test equipment to test the suitabilitly of the existing socket to supply an extra socket.

Save your customer's money and get an electrican in......

Lucia.

its pretty simple. Im am simply going to take a spur of the ring main. I have read a few of your replys to other peoples questions and they do not seem to be any help at all..... if you have nothing helpfull to say then i suggest you do not reply to my posts. Thanks

SAo for everyone else your comments would be apprectiated. The reason i am goin to hire a tracker is because they leave nice clean line. I no i could just use my sds on chiesel mode but wana try a tracker.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is it ok to use PVC conduit as his CU is just fuses or does it have to be steel conduit?
An RCD is most likely required regardless of how the cables are installed.

Steel conduit would be used if the cable is not in a safe zone.
Otherwise, PVC or no conduit at all could be used.

The 'rules' suggest that any circuit not protected via an RCD or RCBO must be greater than 50mm OR protected by an earth shield (read: earthed metal conduit or armour / shielded cable).

These rules are 17th ed 2008, which are unlikely to be the standard adopted for the existing system.

Since the work you intend to do isn't notifiable and as such comes inside the realms of DIY you could do anything you want.

Now if you are being paid to do the work, or are conscientious- you should firstly consider whether the new socket should be an extension to the ring (2 x cable feeds 2.5mm) or if a spur would be appropriate.
The new element of the work should be done to 17th spec, so either install an RCBO for the circuit and plaster in the ring / radial cable.
Provide an earthed conduit.
Provide the socket with a suitable cable type that has a shield.

and btw its my dads house. No payment

So you say. But I still strongly suspect that you don't have the proper test equipment for that simple job, in order to verify that the existing socket is able to supply a spur. And I very much doubt whether you'll be issusing a certificate for the job. So goodnight, sweetheart.

Lucia.

well i am not getting paid however i am one of these people who always wants to know how to do the job right. I am an electrical maintenance engineer and comfident in wiring up comercial thing. But thats all stell conduit screwed to the wall

just wanting to know whats the proper way to do it domestically.

Need to replace fuse with rcbo?
Steel conduit to spur socket? Or PVC ok with rcbo protection?

Spur outlet will be sufficient. Its bascially to provide extra socket in a living room so the lamp and cd player are where he wants them to be without running an extension to the socket.

Altho extending the ring would do no harm either. Just crimp the cable to extend on bit to the new socket and a new length on t&e back....

OK. That sounds simple enough.......

So tell me about your test instruments, if any - and your abilitly to use them? And, what about the certification - or do you imagine that the Regs exclude that requirement when 'working for your dad'?

Lucia.

you need to RCD the cable and / or the socket..

if you use steel at work then make up a section of steel and bring it home rather than use plastic.. or just dig it into the plaster and plaster over it..
any plaster over about 18mm thich will hide a cable nicely and won't need to chase the walls.( it's called a chaser BTW, not a tracker.. those tell you where they've run off to in your van.. )

I take it you are installing in safe zones as you want to use plastic?

yea its in a safe zone. Use both at work really....plasyic and steel. Both easy to work with.

I not is a chaser..... typed that in first post.... just a wee mistake lol.

Thanks for all you comments fellas cheers

I will assume you are working to the principle that all new wiring and accessories should be compliant with the current edition of the regs but existing stuff that was compliant with the regs when installed but is no longer compliant can be left.

You probably can't replace a fuse with a RCBO since most CUs old enough to be fitted with fuses will not be of a type that can take RCBOs.

That leaves a few options for adding sockets to a system where the existing sockets are not RCD protection.

1: run the new wiring in stell conduit and use RCD sockets for new sockets.
2: add a seperate RCD between the CU and the ring
3: replace the CU

Of these I would probablly go for the first option on the grouds that it's the least intrusive and it's not notifiable under part P (assuming it's not in a kitchen or special location).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back