Extending Ring Main Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I need to extend a ring main to put a couple of new sockets in. The problem I have is that the only place for the new cables to be situated is behind the skirting board - However I already have central heating pipes behind the skirting board (concrete floor).

Can the 2.5mm cables be situated next to a central heating pipe that obviously gets very hot? how close can they get? Is there such thing as heat resistant cable?

Any advice welcome.

Sponsored Links
Ban
You can't put the cables behind the skirting board anyway

??

If a cable is run in joists under a floor and then up to a point then it almost always invariably runs behind a skirting surely.

This is not what you meant is it?

REegards,
EBEE

In the situation you describe the cables run vertically to the sockets - this is OK.

Largemoo wants to run them horizontally behind the skirting - this is not OK.

Sponsored Links
bare copper sheathed MICC would certainly be up to the heat and has an earthed metal layer so avoiding the cable routes problem. but it needs to be stripped with a special tool and glanded off with a special pot. Some sparkies tell me its hard, others reckon its easier than SWA. I have no personal experiance to comment.

Can't you just chase horizontally from one socket and vertically from the next meeting up to form a dog leg. that way you stay within permitted routes and away from the hot pipes so no special cable needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back