routes for extending the ring main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all!

Nothing new on this topic I am sure, but I have a couple of queries:

I would like to extend the ring my dining room area, the problem is the walls and floor are concrete. I obviously want to maintain safe zones so what is the best policy for running the ring around the concrete floor and wall area. I was thinking the sockets will be a couple of inches above the skirting but where will the wire run? Can I chase out just beneath the sockets.

The second socket I want to add involves lifting a couple wooden T&G boards, is it best policy again to run the cables under the floors rather than chase out the bottom of the wall ( I don't want to damage floor boards if I can help it) and finally if I do have to lift boards shall I use a circular saw or a board saw (have both!)

Thanks....

Sponsored Links
Forgot to mention that the circuits are RCD protected on a 17th edition board.

Are the walls not plastered, if so so you can run a direct horizontal chase between sockets.
Yes under Floor is fine, I use a circular saw, use the depth gauge so it's just a smidgen over board sizes, hopefully preventing damage to joist below and any pipe work.

Yeah the walls are plastered so I will just run a horizontal ring around Is using a sleeve on the wire beneath plaster a bit overkill?Thanks.

When it comes to the door frame and I need to get around it shall I just go under the floor boards of the next room and around the door and back in again rather than loop up around the door (doesn't sound like a good idea).

I'll use a circular saw and try and keep my good eye on the job! Going under floor boards has to be easier I was wanting to keep the original wooden floor and sand it. Do you think I can still do this if I am careful as I am going to have to cut he tongues?

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
I don't own one myself, but a joiner we work with uses a fein multimaster to lift polished floorboards.

When he is done, you would never know they have been up.

I don't own one myself, but a joiner we work with uses a fein multimaster to lift polished floorboards.

When he is done, you would never know they have been up.

Cheers.
Pretty cool, a bit like a little angle grinder. Can't justify price yet though and someone has already made a pigs breakfast on one of the boards.

Yeah the walls are plastered so I will just run a horizontal ring around Is using a sleeve on the wire beneath plaster a bit overkill?Thanks.

When it comes to the door frame and I need to get around it shall I just go under the floor boards of the next room and around the door and back in again rather than loop up around the door (doesn't sound like a good idea).

I'll use a circular saw and try and keep my good eye on the job! Going under floor boards has to be easier I was wanting to keep the original wooden floor and sand it. Do you think I can still do this if I am careful as I am going to have to cut he tongues?

Thanks again

It is good practice to sleeve the cable with conduit or capping. Then you won't have to worry about cable damage when filling the chase.

Sounds best to run the cable under the floor of the next room when you get to the door. Can you run the majority of the cable under this floor?
Be aware of safe cable zones when concealing wiring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back