Extending Ring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am just doing the final bits now to what has been a somewhat eventfull extension project. The new bit has all be wired etc etc. My original kitchen wall that has now been knocked out housed all my sockets for the kitchen. These are currently just rolled and tied up on the ceiling. I am now at the time where I need to start running all the sockets in the kitchen. I have 2 sockets effectivly dangling and want to know the best way to go about fitting the ring into my kitchen. The current cables are too short to fit into the new area they need to be as the wall they were sited on has now gone!. Is it acceptable to split the ring in one of the sockets that are there, put each side of the ring into a 30amp junction box leave them in the ceiling void then run new cables round the kitchen and back to the junction boxes. The old wire is black and red and of course my new is brown and blue, so I would be connecting these 2 different colours in the junction box. If I could do this it would be a whole lot easier than going all the way back to the CU.

Advice appreciated.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
You can do this, but you need a warning label on the CU saying there's 2 versions of BS7671 wiring colours. You can buy them from wholesalers.

I would install seperate circuit for kitchen, and joint the two old legs in an (accessible) JB.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back