Extending Socket In Kitchen To Outdoors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, have no intention of doing this myself but want to know if what I am asking an electrician to do is possible.

We have a plug socket in lower cabinet in the kitchen which feeds the dishwasher/washing machine; it is located on the external wall. Can an electrician extend that socket to an outdoor rated socket by drilling through the wall and then running through coduit to where I want the IP66 rated socket I want installing by the BBQ area. Total distance is about 5m.

I already have one outdoor IP66 socket but that is further away from the required area and would not be easy to cable back to as we have no way to bury cable across block paving so conduit from the nearest indoor socket is the desired idea.

TIA

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yes an electrician can do that.

Exactly how depends on what supplies the dishwasher socket.

Whatever way it would be sensible to put a double pole isolator inside the house and take the supply to the outdoor socket from that isolator.

Reason is that without an isolator if the outside socket gets damp and/or damaged then the MCB /RCD in the consumer unit cannot be reset until the damaged socket is replaced / repaired by an electrician. Hence no power to dishwasher and maybe several other sockets.

It also prevent mis-use of the socket by people wanting your electricity

Cheers, got a quote and the work scheduled in. The only adjustment was the electrician suggesting armoured cable rather than coduit; what it costs in materials will pay back against time spent trying to thread cable through conduit. Also more durable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back