extending the cable from ceiling rose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
going to lower ceiling on the staircase and extending the cable from the ceiling rose but the rose won't move ie stuck tight with paint what would your solution be ie join cabe to existing cabe or try to break off the rose and rewire new cable new cable lengh would be about a metre long
thanks all in advance

Sponsored Links
not an electrician , so not sure of regulations
What is above the ceiling

personally , I would want to put in a maintenance free box ( wago connections ) - so if anything did go wrong in the future , i would know, that had been sorted and not left with conneciton screws , that maybe lose now - or any possibly unknown connections issues

above the ceiling is the loft but not much room to move i thought about wago would the wago box sit on top of new ceiling

If you know where the other end of the cable is terminated, then it would be better to fit a new length of cable, especially if it's close by.
However, you could use a wago above the new ceiling. Take photo's or/and make a diagram of what wire goes with what before you disconnect anything. So many people come on here saying they are sure they have wired it back the way it was, only to discover they have crossed two of them and now have a problem.
If they old rose is stuck with paint then simply chip/scrape the paint away and remove the rose. It will be out of sight so worry about doing a neat job. You should then have a bit more slack on the original cable.

Sponsored Links
above the ceiling is the loft but not much room to move i thought about wago would the wago box sit on top of new ceiling
The very best method is to make some room in the loft. Get access to the rose connections and mark the wires.
Disconnect the wires and pull them up in to the loft and re-terminate in a suitable junction box. Then just extend the LN&E wires to the light.

Having an inaccessible junction may be more convenient now but, if something goes wrong, that new ceiling has to be demolished to gain access.

have been in the loft and can't get to the cable underneath all the glass wool and other items its a 1mm cable to join would i need a box as well as wago connections
thanks again

have been in the loft and can't get to the cable underneath all the glass wool and other items its a 1mm cable to join would i need a box as well as wago connections
thanks again
Yes ,connections must be made in a suitable enclosure, wago's go into a wago box

is this what i need Wago 221 2 Way Compact Lever Connectors 0.14 to 4mm​

and the 221 wago box cheers again

I would have thought 5 way (they don't do 4) - I think you need 4 for the earth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back