Extending with a hip roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a generally accepted way to extend a hip roof? I have a roof like these houses:

43G3n0e.jpg

I'd like to extend mine like this:

gUbmRox.png

Do I need a new roof?

Will there need to be a flat bit or a massive valley?

I think to get through planning the height of the roof cant change and the ridge line will probably have to go from left to right not front to back.

Any ideas what the most cost effective way will be?

Sponsored Links
Yes I have just appointed one.

But around here some houses have done all sorts of different things. Some have flat sections at the top of their roofs, some have big valleys. Just wanted to see if anyone had any experience of this kind of extension

Sponsored Links
Just wanted to see if anyone had any experience of this kind of extension
Yes me.
I've built hip roof extensions with flat tops on them in order to satisfy ridge height rules. They are...er...'fun' to build. You have to tile the structure then the flat roof guys apply the roof material and stick it down onto your lead flashing, on the run-off side. The other three sides to the flatty usually have a ridge tile.

Here's a piccie from the inside......

what's the advantage of that way say over this:

KYw2dGf.png

is a flat roof right at the top of the house going to be a more of pain than a big valley to maintain?

so went with this design:

lEurHGn.png

nothing is as simple as you first think, had to be like to comply with local planning rules so the extension looks like an extension

But on the other hand if you have nothing to hang your catladders off then thing can get expensive.

Well if you can invent something else thats practical then I think you could retire from building

Oh the luxury that is scaffold.
If only the customer would be willing to pay £400 on top of a £200 repair.

One can only dream.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back