extension 300mm bigger than the paln

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my house extension has come out of the ground to damp proof course level. I took my tape measure today to check the dimension and to my surprise it is 300mm bigger than the plans and the drawings , the proved plans and the drawings by the local authorities is 6600mm but it is now 6900mm. all the beams and the blocks are fitted and the builder supposed to start building above that on Tuesday where I will be talking to him. the further it can be brought back is 200mm which is the edge of the concrete foundation . will this be any issue with the local authorities?. shall I call them on Tuesday to clarify this issue?

Sponsored Links
A difficult call.
Building Control won't be bothered - they may not even notice. With Planning, it's a different matter.
Planning inspectors usually only check on work if someone complains, eg a neighbour. If you're confident no neighbour will complain,
it could well be OK.
If you cut it back by 200, so that it is only 100 oversize, they are unlikely to take enforcement action even if they find out, as this is generally not appropriate for minor breaches. But 300mm? - who knows how they would view that?
One thing is fairly certain; if you phone them to 'own up, they will ask you to cut it back to 6600.

As Tony says, difficult call.

Is the extension near to a neighbour? Does the increase make it closer?

Planners never visit a job following planning consent, unless there is a complaint......if you arent overlooked or on good terms with your neighbours the risk is very small.

The problem is that the small risk has to be weighed against the huge cost of alterations to be compliant with consent.

In theory one could say its the builders error, but the problem with that is that as the householder, any planning enforcement will land on your doorstep.

If you move the wall to the edge of the foundation, the building inspector might spot it and say he wants an engineers calc for the eccentrically loaded foundation. Im surprised you could move it 200mm.....

Whatever you do dont contact the planners, you will get 2 options: make it compliant or put in a new planning application....which could get refused.

Sorry, but I'd make the builder do it to the plans. He has no excuse for getting it wrong and much easier to correct at this stage than later on.

Sponsored Links
A builder that can't measure is a builder that can't build.

Right from the off, he's wrong. What will happen as he carries on, what other mistakes will he make?

many thanks to whoever contributed to this thread. Some of the comments mitigate my worries.
my house is tucked a way and in no interference with the neighbours, and for this reason the LA granted the PP for such a big extension (7300x6600) hence the chance it get noticed and reported very remote.
the option of getting the builder to rectify it very difficult (knowing the builder for the last 3 weeks). this means he has to bring 3 tons digger and dig a foundation of 7300mm to a depth of 2m (because I live next to a field). if I insist on this option he will probably walk a way.
the best of the worse options is to leave it as it is. However, what will happen if the LA finds out?, will they require me to apply for PP retrospectively or knocked down?

Builders generally don't make jobs bigger (more expensive). I smell a rat.
the mistake he did, he measure the distance from the inner wall of the existing building and therefore, the extra 300mm that should be blended in that wall, become extra on the extension.
we agreed on fix price and the guy doing everything in rush to finish as soon as possible to maximize his profit. this is on of many mistake he's done; including installing the manhole in the opposite direction. going through both water and electricity mains when he dog the foundations.

This happened at our previous property. We never had an issue with the plannng people but when we came to sell, the surveyor picked it up and put the whole sale in jeopardy for a while.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back